3200+ overheating?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by trollrawks, May 2, 2006.

1. trollrawks

trollrawks Private E-2

under full load, cpu temps rise to 63 C tops.

amd 3200+ in a midtower. ambient temp is like..mid 70's. using the stock cooler. cool'n'quiet is enabled, and at idle the temps are around 45 C. i am using a cheap best buy brand thermal compound, and have 4 case fans (2 intake, 2 out) as well as the psu fan and HSF. thermal compound will most definately be replaced with a better brand, and possible heatsink upgrade. thanks for any sugguestions! w hat do you guys think?

2. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Welcome to the forum mate :) ,63 is pretty warm,what method are you using to test your load temps,what temp monitoring program are you using,what motherboard do you have,at those temps the stock fan should sound like a banshee about 46 db,does it ,did you clean the heatsink before applying the paste,after 10mins at that temp the heatsink should feel very hot to the touch,if it doesnt it aint installed correctly :confused:

Ambient temp 70c is this a typo,its impossible for the ambient temp to be higher than the cpu,are you sure this isnt your cpu temp,with two intake and two exaust fans with the stock cooler installed correctly I would expect your temp to be no higher than 55c mark under full load

Also are you having any symptoms of overheating :)

3. trollrawks

trollrawks Private E-2

i apologize for the lack of data. i've seen the pc go up to temps of around 63 now. in response to your questions...the method in which im using is prime 95's torture test. the program im using to monitor the temps is speedfan (and ive tried another--i forget the name) both report similar temps. i've tried two different heatsink's and have came to this report. i've lost a few degrees with reapplying the thermal compound several different times but i am still perplexed. the motherboard in which im using is the MSI K8T Neo-FIS2R. before reapplying the thermal compound i've used isoprophyl alcohol to get the grit off (with a sock, so tehre may be tiny fibres on the sink). im restressing the system and am going to touch it to see how hot it is in a few. also, at idle the system does around 46 all day.

i apologize for the ambient temp, i thought that meant outside of the case temp. i havent a probe for testing temps so i cant check the case temps.

with all this said, the temp is now 66. i dont think it will get much higher than that becuase thats only where ive seen it. i also havent seen any reports of the sensor reporting incorrectly, so i am at a loss as of now. the heatsink i am sure is attached correctly, as the black clamp is intact and the heatsink will not budge. the MOBO temp is 33c and i expect the cpu to be around the temp you've claimed. i might just scrap this all together and water cool the guy.

and nope--no symptoms yet of overheating. no freezing, no power offs. but i am afraid that the chip is getting close as the max temp appears to be 70. i just hate to be running @ near that @ full load.

4. trollrawks

trollrawks Private E-2

i just touched my heatsink. it is very cool. i had to apply pressure with my finger to actually feel the termperature. the heatsink is attached properly. what gives? faulty reporting temp? :[

5. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

The reason I asked what motherboard you have is my msi neo 3 has faulty temp monitoring the temp is always 5-10 degrees higher than what I know it is ,in fact alot of msi k8 boards do,try this

http://majorgeeks.com/Motherboard_Monitor_d311.html

Its unsupported now but your motherboard should be supported mine is,you have to update the motherboard support list before your board will be supported and then pick out your motherboard

use this program to torture your cpu its more dedicated than prime

http://majorgeeks.com/Toast_d867.html

If your heatsink isnt red hot after 10mins of torture and your temp is high there are two possibilities,you havnt installed the hsf correctly or its a sensor problem,best to be safe than sorry and reapply thermal compound a few times and scrutinize how the hsf is installed,if you put a small dab like this on the heatspreader

http://www.arcticsilver.com/ceramique_instructions.htm

,install the heatsink ontop,clip it down unclip it,it should now be stuck solid to the cpu and wont come off without teasing to break the viscous coupling,on inspection the paste should spread evenly,if so its fine,clean off all the paste and reinstall it,'every time you remove the heatsink no matter how fresh the paste,it should all be cleaned with alchohol and fresh paste applied'

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds