stupid question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dumdweeb, May 3, 2006.

1. dumdweeb

dumdweeb Private E-2

When it comes to computers I don't really know much.........However, I know enough to help my MIL set up her new machine (came out of a box).
    Here's the thing, her computer came without dial-up modem connectors.
    I know how to fix the problem, I'm just wondering how common it is for a company (cough, Dell, cough) to send you stuff with missing cards.

2. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

Well, they only send what you ask for. Modems are something you have to make sure you ask for. I would go back to your order and check it to make sure that you asked for a modem. If you did, contact Dell. Otherwise, you can pick up a 56K PCI modem from Staples or whatever.

3. dumdweeb

dumdweeb Private E-2

OK, so a modem and modem connectors are the same thing when you order on-line? I ass-umed all comps came with plug-ins/card for a dial-up.
    There was an option for a modem, but MIL already owns one and we were told by ISP that it was compatible.

In other words, she has a modem, but nothing to plug it into (the card's missing).

(man, I'm retahded)

4. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

It's a pain I bought a system last August and I just assumed it would have a dial-up modem but got home and low-and-behold no modem. In modern times they assume everyone has broadband (even in backwards Australia) and thus don't provide them anymore. But where I live has only just recently had broadband offered and I had to go and buy a card modem last year.

5. dumdweeb

dumdweeb Private E-2

Thanks dude. I personally have been on cable for years (O' Canada, my home and native land), so I didn't think twice about the dial-up option. Just figured every comp came with the darn plugs.

Oh well, I guess I'll be off to "Ye Olde Computer Shoppe" and get MIL a dial-up card.

Pain in the arse it is though.

6. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Errm,err,she has a modem,do you mean she has an external modem,if so that will work fine,its just a case of plugging it into a com or usb port no card is needed :confused:

7. dumdweeb

dumdweeb Private E-2

pardon the confusion

Actaully MIL screwed up, she told me she had a dial-up modem (her comp was old, a pre-internet type that was modified). So she's been on dial-up forever, kept referring to her dial-up card as a modem.
    I finally checked out her set up and realized she didn't have a modem, just a card in her old comp.
    The new comp doesn't have a card to plug the two phone line connectors into. (you know the old system, one in, one out :) ) Hence the confusion.

However, problem's solved. I've talked her into switching to DSL. It's only a couple of bucks more than her dial-up and she doesn't have to worry about a busy network , which has been pissin' her off all over the place.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds