Tracing IP address, help needed!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AlterTremonti, May 3, 2006.

1. AlterTremonti

AlterTremonti Private E-2

This may have already been answered somewhere on these forums. But I used the search function and couldn't come up with anything. But anyways... I have someone that has been breaking into my hotmail account, and they are really beginning to get annoying. Does anyone know how I could track where they are logging on from? They sent me an email from my own account. Here is the heading form the email...

MIME-Version: 1.0
    X-Originating-IP: [70.154.229.26]
    X-Originating-Email: [justin_vaughn_taylor@hotmail.com]
    X-Sender: justin_vaughn_taylor@hotmail.com
    Received: from omc3-s10.bay6.hotmail.com ([65.54.249.84]) by bay0-mc8-f14.bay0.hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.1830); Wed, 3 May 2006 15:22:05 -0700
    Received: from hotmail.com ([65.54.168.39]) by omc3-s10.bay6.hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.211); Wed, 3 May 2006 12:52:28 -0700
    Received: from mail pickup service by hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC; Wed, 3 May 2006 12:52:28 -0700
    Received: from 65.54.168.200 by by113fd.bay113.hotmail.msn.com with HTTP;Wed, 03 May 2006 19:52:24 GMT
    X-Message-Info: LsUYwwHHNt3660MmjhEvYg2f34OAemlK+3Wz9fWrJ/U=
    X-OriginalArrivalTime: 03 May 2006 19:52:28.0600 (UTC) FILETIME=[1B98B380:01C66EEB]
    Return-Path: justin_vaughn_taylor@hotmail.com

It looks like a bunch of rubbish to me. Can anyone help me track the origin of this email. I tried tracking the originating address which is 70.154.229.26. But it said Miami Florida. I live in Kentucky and I think it is someone is this area. How can I get a more accurate geographic location of the computer? Or is this even the IP that I need to be tracking? Any help would be appreciated. I really want to find out who is annoying me!:eek:

2. Bladesofhalo

Bladesofhalo MajorGeek

Ok i traced the ip back to this info:

Network Contact Information:
    BellSouth.net Inc.
    abuse@bellsouth.net
    575 Morosgo Drive Atlanta GA 30324 US

Domain Contact Information:
    BellSouth Intellectual Property Corporation
    hostmaster@BELLSOUTH.NET
    824 Market Street Suite 901 1100 Ashwood Parkway Wilmington, DE 19801 US

3. AlterTremonti

Ok, thanks. Is there a possibility that they have a dial up connection, and that is the ip address they connect to the internet through. I remember reading that somewhere. Is there any way to track them within the bellsouth network? Or should I just contact bellsouth via email and report this to them?

4. Bladesofhalo

Bladesofhalo MajorGeek

That is the companys address most likely, and tracking em within the network will prove difficult, best if you report it to them.

5. AlterTremonti

ok, thank you!:) Maybe I can start tracking them down now!

6. Bladesofhalo

Bladesofhalo MajorGeek

Lol no problem

7. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

For future reference:
    If you believe that there is reason to trace an IP address, simply find out what ISP they are with (by running a nslookup, whois etc) and send an email to the abuse@ address which should be listed with the IP ownership.

Then the ISP can investigate on their end, and they will have much more information than you ever will. If legal action needs to be taken, then the ISP will give up the data which proves that that customer was indeed the attacker.

But bear in mind that proxies can often be used, which will mask the true identity of the attacker.

8. technaut

technaut Private E-2

Hack Tracer...
    www.sharptechnology.com/bh-cons.htm

If this gives you the real IP, as opposed to a proxy, like the previous poster said, then run the IP through McAfee Visual Trace - mcafee.com, or VisualRoute - www.visualware.com. Either app will light up the location on a map of the globe.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds