How Can I Tell If I Have 2 RAM Banks?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Smartslug, May 4, 2006.

1. Smartslug

Smartslug Private First Class

i want to buy another stick of 128mb pc-133 sdram, i already have one stick installed. but the problem is that i dont know if my comp has 2 ram banks, because its a 2001 sony vaio and im not sure because its so damn old. i checked everest, but i dont know if it saied how many banks i have...can someone tell me how to find this out, i know i can just take apart the cpu, but i dont wanna have 2 do that :(

thanks

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Desktop? Not familiar with the designation, but if it's a desktop, it's real simple to open the case. Turn it off and unplug it first!!! Then one of the side panels (usually left) should slide off after removing two or three screws in the back. Depending on your mobo, you should see the one stick of ram (unless it has two 64mg sticks) somewhere right of center / above midline. White (usually) clips hold them in, and will compress onto the ram when you seat it into the slot. Make sure they are the same type and are snuggly seated. The old compaq's had a sort of handle in the back and you would remove screws and slide the whole frame out of the case. As I said, not familiar with sony ...

3. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Try EVEREST again. Go to Motherboard-->SPD and check out Device Description, at the top. IT should show you how many sticks are`installed.

I'm betting that it is 2 x 64 as in the olde days, computer makers used the cheapest method of getting maximum memory. 2 x 64 was (and still is) cheaper than 1 x 128. My laptop came with 1 x 512 with room for another 1 stick. I had the computer store pull the 512 and install 1 x 1024 so I could expand further, later, if need be. If I had settled for 2 x 512 I would have still had 1 gig, but been stuffed for future`expansion.

Bazza

===

4. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

If you only have 1 RAM stick installed, then I am almost certain that you have at least one more. I don't know of any motherboards that have only 1 RAM slot.

5. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

I am assuming the 2001 sony vaio is a laptop, is that right? If so, run Everest again as per my previous post. If it is a desktop, follow the others advice. Bazza

===

6. Smartslug

Smartslug Private First Class

No, this is a desktop computer...but will you look at this...my vaio just wore out...wont start up...now im using this hunk of crap, 1997 model.

So forget about the ram banks, help me over by my other thread!

Thanks for any help!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds