Constant Overheating--HELP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by insamaic, May 5, 2006.

1. insamaic

insamaic Guest

Hey,

I have a Dell 4600 (around 3 years old). And I recenty bought a new 200GB WD HDD, and I can barely watch videos without the hard drive overheating and getting to Western Digitals "Operating Temperature" of 55 degrees celcius.

The case doesn't really have a slot for a new fan, or as far as I know. So how can I make it cool down, permenantly?

2. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

here is how i fix the dells,in the rear of the case they set it up to pull air in and blow it over the cpu heat sink,if you reverse the fan to blow out[all you have to do is remove the fan and turn it around]this is very easy.set another fan on the floor of the case up towards the front of the case and hook that fan to the motherboard.[theres another fan connection on the board].if you have another fan great,it really dosent take a lot to help these out.a few drops of super glue will hold that fan in place. a hard drive cooler,which is very cheap if you look around,these are very easy to install also. if you do the fan mod be sure the extra fan is blowing towards the rear of the case. ed

3. insamaic

insamaic Guest

I can't find a fan connection and my dad thinks that the "reversing of the fan" thing you mentioned at the start is wrong... Is what you're talking about for newer dells?

Because the cases are heaps different then they are now.

My dad thinks it's wrong because "it sucks air over the CPU then out the back of the case, via the hood".

lol :S

4. insamaic

insamaic Guest

It was lagging a lot so I thought that the CPU was over heating so I put the massive green thing over the fan (above cpu heatsink) and it seems to be back to normal.

5. lowie57

lowie57 Private First Class

you want to take the hot air away from the cpu, not circulate it around the case, by having the fan as tunered suggested it will blow the air to the rear fan then that fan will push it out, just give it ago, then if the problem is solved then dont worry about what your dad says.

6. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

I'll second what lowie57 said, but add that if dad objects, tell him you where told to take the side cover off and put a small desk fan two feet away from the computer and see how that works.

7. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

You can (or could at one time) buy a plug in card that actually has one or 2 fans on it. Only small, of course, but we fitted a card to a desktop PC that was being used in a hot mining environment. It definitely helped. Hot air used to be exhausted out through vents in the back metal bit of the card where it connects in a slot in the case. Hope this makes sense. Bazza

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds