LCD worth it?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Punjabi88, May 5, 2006.

1. Punjabi88

Punjabi88 Private E-2

hi

i have been using a CRT monitor for a long time but now i feel like buying a lcd . yes i know crt have better refresh rate but lcd refresh rate isn't that bad. my only concern is that when you buy a lcd , do you get alot of broken pixels or just rearly 1 broken pixel (which i dont mind)

im spending 200-300 on it for a 17"
    thanks for the help

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

At that point, I'd go for 350 and get a 20in Widescreen LCD.

Dead/stuck pixel policies depend on where you buy. I bought mine at Costco, and have a no haggle return policy. I returned them until I got one with no bad pixels.

3. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

I've bought 4 LCDs now, 2 Dells, 1 NEC, and 1 Samsung. Not a single dead pixel on any of them. That's not to say that there aren't any, but from my experience, they are not very common if you buy good name brand monitors that are new.

And as Adrynalyne said, for that price you should be looking at 19" monitors at the least. The monitor I currently use is the Dell 20" Widescreen and I absolutely love it.

Here is a link to an Acer 19" Widescreen for $216:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824009073

Or a Benq 20" widescreen for $317:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824014105

Or if you check out www.slickdeals.net everyday, you can get a good deal on Dell monitors. All you need is a little patience and you can get the Dell 20" widescreen for around $380. (It has the same panel as the 20" Apple Cinema Display)

4. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

I have two Samsungs one 19" 930b is about 1yr old & a 15" 151v approx 3yr old, neither have any dead pixels

Both I got from Best Buy, If I remember right 14 day refund/return for Any reason, even one bad pixel.
    They also offered extra warranty covering dead pixels, I skipped the extra warranty, I felt the 3yr Samsung was sufficient

5. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

ive got a Sony 19in, no problems or dead pixels to speak of. Definitely preferable over a CRT. No more headaches, yay!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds