Help for a newb overclocking?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by stymey, May 8, 2006.

1. stymey

stymey Private E-2

Ok, first let me say, I did read the sticky on overclocking...lol

I have an Intel P4 1.5 Ghz with 256k RAM. It is running Phoenix 4.0 Release 6.0 for IBM NetVista BIOS.

As my BIOS options are severely limited, I downloaded ClockGen to try and squeeze a bit more speed out of this dinosaur. However, when I change the PLL's, nothing changes on the real time clocks. I am using PLL ICS 950403 setting.

What is the best way to approach overclocking this thing? Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

2. stymey

stymey Private E-2

System info from aida32 enclosed:

Motherboard: IBM Marlin
    Chipset: Intel Brookdale i845
    Processor: GenuineIntel P4 1.5 GHz

3. stymey

stymey Private E-2

Ok, after a little while of searching, I think the motherboard is a NetVista 6349

4. geekedittilitGHz

geekedittilitGHz <i>puto cum grano salis</i>

ok you dont have many options... i think your core is a willamette... they are terrible overclockers... try something like soft fsb or cpufsb (these are at the MG site..)

5. stymey

stymey Private E-2

Thanks for the advice....I tried both FSB programs, neither supports the PLL.
    The PLL is ICS 950201.....does this combination possibly not support overclocking?

Aida or Everest reports the max processor speed as 2.0 GHz....I'd really like to take advantage of the faster processor speed....FSB is reported real time as 100, operating at 400...

I'd be happy to try another program, if anyone knows of one that supports this PLL.

Thanks again for your response.

6. geekedittilitGHz

7. stymey

stymey Private E-2

enh, tried both and nothing.

apparently this particular PLL has no System Management Bus.....CPUFSB lists this ICS as "hopeless"

8'^(

8. geekedittilitGHz

welll ya tried... the next thing to do is get a new cheap mobo that supports ocing

9. geekedittilitGHz

10. stymey

stymey Private E-2

Gives me a lot of good information, however, no manipulation abilities...

Any suggestions on a new mobo that i can overclock this processor with?

11. geekedittilitGHz

hmm anything from asus.... just try looking around at Newegg

12. Windsor

Windsor Private E-2

One thing to consider, if the OS is OEM, you will need to buy a new copy of Windows if you change the motherboard.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds