Torrent help?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by silent_one, May 9, 2006.

1. silent_one

silent_one Private E-2

Hey guys got a pretty technical question about torrents here. Before I ask it, I have read the torrent protocol and did not find all the information I wanted there.
    http://www.bittorrent.org/protocol.html

My question is this.

How much data in terms of size (bytes, kilobytes) is sent to each peer that you are connected to. I do not mean the actual file you download but I mean the choke/unchoke commands your pc sends and the interested and not interested commands you recieve. These are updated every 2 minutes. :confused:

I ask this because there is an option which allows you to set how many peers to connect to when downloading a torrent. You may be connected to 20 peers but you are only downloading from a maximum of 4 (this is the torrent protocol and nothing can be done about this). The other 16 peers are sent choke messages (basically you don't download from them yet unless one of the 4 peers you are connected to goes offline (its more compicated than that but i wont go into it)). The optimistic unchoke function helps you to choose the peers with the best upload speed so it is in your best interest to be connected to as many peers as possible to select rthe best 4. However you have to keep sending and recieveing choke/unchoke messages to the peers you are connected to. This uses up bandwidth and slows down downloads. If i could figure out how much data is sent and recieved to each peer then i can figure out the reduction in download/upload speed per peer in kb/s, this will allow me to easily figure out the maximum number of peers i can be connected to without loosing to much download speed.

I want to do this to squeze as much spped as possible out of my torrents. If too many peers are selected too much bandwidth is spent communicating and downloads suffer. If too few peers are selected then you miss out on the possibility of connecting to peers who have really fast upload speeds.

thanks for your help guys although i doubt i will get a reply ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds