Major Problem, Need Help Please

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by viper_boy403, May 9, 2006.

1. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

Today when i got home and turned on my computer, it booted to the windows blue welcome screen but then turned black and stopped loading after that. I powered down and tried to boot back up but now it wont even get to post. Yesterday it worked just fine and I havent changed anything since then. AHHHH please help me!

2. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Test your PSU

I thought I warned you about those Thermaltakes, using one on OCed system = double trouble

3. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus MajorGeek

Try backing off your overclock. Go back to default & see if it boots.

4. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Thats difficult to do when a system wont even Post.

Butt if the OC was the problem, a CMOS reset will return system/Bios to default settings.

5. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

ill reset the CMOS real quick and then try....crap, i thought that PSU would work, it had over 500 reviews and a maximum rating....:(

6. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

cmos reset=nothing

ASUS, how might i test the PSU? Also, how might I be able to prove that it is for sure the PSU?

7. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

Just to point out some other details:

Everything seems to power up fine; the fans are spinnin', the lights are shinin' etc BUT the hard drive isnt getting that extra jolt to get it goin (the one that makes it start to spin up, therefore somewhat noisy)

ugh and i dont know if i can get an RMA, i sent in the UPC for my rebate.....:mad:

8. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

9. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

ah yes, my other psu....ill hook that up real quick. i think i answered your question a second ago :D ;)

10. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

no luck there, same thing: monitor doesnt get a signal and hdd doesnt start up but everything else is goin.....I am at a complete loss here...:rolleyes:

11. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Ya I miss your post:)

OCing too far can Corrupt Windows, the fix for corrupt Windows is reinstall of your OS

Sending in UPC rebate will not affect RMA but receipt proof of purchase will come in handy

HDD could be failing/ HDD Manufactures have free utility to test HDD's
    A HDD isn't required or necessary to Post or access BIOS
    Are you able to access BIOS?

The PSU, Test it, If I'm wrong about your PSU, thats OK, I want your puter to work
    Your Hooking up the Old PSU, Fingers crossed

12. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

i cant even get it to post at all, no BIOS, nuthin.......could it be my video card? its a long shot but maybe since my monitor isnt getting a signal.....

13. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

You already tryed the Old PSU?
    Dude your Quick, 10 min PSU swap, I got nickname for you "Rabbit"

Try Reset CMOS again, remove battery, press power button to drain excess power, leave batttery out for 10 -20 minutes, then try to boot to Bios first.

14. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

haha yea, it was pretty quick.....but im a desperate man lol:eek: ok ill go try ur idea. i gotta go to a meeting in a few but ill try to keep u posted as soon as i get back, in about 2 hours. Thanks for all your help, i really appreciate it

15. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Does your MOBO have onboard diagnostic speaker?
    Any Beep codes?
    If you havent already, check all connections, remove & reseat all hardware, everything
    Also check for shorts/skined wires/something grounded/burn marks

I have a 5200 AGP card, mail it to ya for $35, also have basic PCI card $15 shipped

16. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

Ugh....no change after the battery thing...

yes i have a small speaker but i get nothing, no beeps or sounds of any sorts

:mad:

Ill be sure to double check all my components sometime soon, maybe tonight if i get the time. Thanks for the offer but i was planning on upgrading my vid card soon anyways, i may have just found my excuse :D Just to be sure what to look for, uhh...what should i look for? as far as fried wires/components, besides the obvious toasty black look lol. I havent smelt any wierd fumes or anything tho....:confused:

17. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

Unplugged and reconnected every freakin' plugable thing and no change......could this possibly be my processor? Seems unlikely but who knows, im COMPLETELY lost here :confused: I may just have to do with a laptop for a few days and have my dads computer guy check it out lol. If I popped in a Windows CD (would have to get one from a friend since this is a prebuilt) would it be able to skip the post and hdd and go straight to that? I dont think it would, i think it posts first, but who knows

18. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Have you tried to get it to post without any add in components yet,remove all cards incliding sound card, especially the harddrive and use only one stick of memory,if nothing change over to other stick and try,your original problem sounded like a corrupt registry,the proceeding problem then sounded like a badly corrupt boot sector indicating a dying harddrive or extreme corruption from your overclocked cpu

Did you run any stability checks when your comp was overclocked like prime 95?

If you cant post with only mobo,cpu,memory and vid card next step is to change out the vid card,then memory,you know your psu works that only leaves cpu or mobo and theres only one way to check them try your cpu in a similar mobo,either from a very nice friend or a pc store :)

19. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

I ran CPU Burn-In for a few hours, no errors or anything. I'll Try the suggested and get back to ya later today. Thanks

20. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

Ok i took out all the extra cards and unhooked the hdd. After I tried only 1 stick of RAM, nothing. The other stick, nothing. My old RAM, either stick, nothing. None of my friends really have a socket 478 mobo or an AGP video card that I could try either..... I dont exactly want to go with no computer for a few months until the AMD DDR2 comes out either......If I were to dump this stuff and go with a new relatively decent but also inexpensive AMD setup, what would be a good idea? Ive heard Opty procs can OC REALLY well, should i get one of those? They arent very expensive either. Any suggestions on a good overclocking mobo for an Opteron? This would be my LAST choice but seeing as I plan on building a new setup sometime soon I dont wanna dump any more money than I have to to save my current setup. Thanks for hangin in there guys

21. Rikky

I'd take it to a local comp shop anyway,ask them to test the mobo and cpu,either way you have to get it working unless you can afford to dump it in the trash,my view is always to sell the whole thing as a working computer or at least then you know which part cpu or mobo you can ebay

Cant recommend an opteron board,I love my 3500+ winchester oc 2.6 just under fx 55 speed 24\7,ASUS has an opteron he's really happy with it :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/1M-L2-Intel-P4-...878335837QQcategoryZ14293QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

:)

22. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

Found a guy with a very similar problem, if not the same: http://www.techspot.com/vb/all/windows/t-16834-IS-my-processor-dead.html

I think he figured out it was his motherboard. If thats the case with mine, Im kinda in trouble seeing as they make very few mobos for socket 478 with PCIe. Any good ones at least....And I think it would be a better investment to just buy a new proc and mobo, rather than spending money on outdated tech. If I do buy new stuff I'll just get my dad to buy a new AGP mobo for it since the plan was for me to keep adding new parts until its a new computer and then stick the old stuff back in the VAIO case (back to normal) for my family to use as a family computer.

ASUS, if u have the time id like to talk to u about your Opty setup :cool:

edit: o yea, my dad is going to have his tech guy at his work take a look at it. My dad is a teacher and the computer guy gets paid by the school so I may be able to get my hands on a really cheap or even a free mobo :)

23. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

I very pleased with my Opty.:p
    I'm thinking about selling two of my other systems to build another Opty
    If your interested in one of those, one is P4 3.0e on a Gigabyte 2004GT mobo the other is Asus A7N8X Deluxe 2.0 with a XP2500+ Factory unlocked pre week 39, neither ever been OCed.

I'm running Opteron 146 10x276 at 2760MHz, 1.425v, 38% OC( stock is 10x200 at 2000MHz)
    I'm using a AMD 64 X2 stock 4 copper heat pipe HSF, Idle 32c ish Max temp under 50c
    DFI NF4 UT Ultra D MOBO, Mine is modded to SLI, (very simple mod connecting points under the Chipset fan)
    2x1GB G.Skill PC4000/DDR500 memory on 9/10 divider at 250Mhz
    XFX 6800 Extreme PCI-e
    HDD Seagate SATA II
    NEC 3550a DVD Burner
    OCZ 520w Powerstream
    This system is 100% stable, Prime 95/3dMark 2001SE, 03 &05/ Super PI Mod/ Mem test, anything I throw at it!

Optys come in socket 939 & 940, I dont know much about the 940's
    If you buy make sure your buy the right one
    The Opteron 146 Most can easy do 2.7Ghz, with some Know How 3GHz possible, the rest of your system needs to be of good quality Hardware!

As far as I know any socket 939 mobo will run a socket 939 Opty some may need BIOS update
    With that said, I personally would only consider a Asus or a DFI MOBO
    DFI for OCing is the Best choice, thats what there built for.
    Another plus for DFI they have much better support than Asus.
    For some Folks DFI can be a hand full, ya gotta like tweaken & adjusting.
    Other than Server MOBO's No MOBO manufacture officially supports Opterons not even DFI

OCing nothing is Guranteed, if you cant afford it, you shouldnt, If I only had one Puter I wouldnt, We'll I probably would:p

Hey Viper, ask what ya want
    you can PM me

24. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

sounds like it's to mobo to me...

25. Rikky

ASUS what kind of numbers your opty crunch heres my winny,stock 2.2=OC 2.6 on Sandra lite 2007 multimedia and arithmic

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:confused:

26. Rikky

Also check out my memory bandwidth,its a clear 6.5gb\s when I set the cas to 2.5 but sometimes she aint happy,1gb corsair xms dual channel :)

[​IMG]

27. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

---UPDATE---

Tested the proc, runs perfectly. Ordered a new mobo on weds but not gettin here until tuesday thanks to the stupid newegg no-delivery-on-weekends rule....:mad: Its the best one I could find, on newegg at least....most expensive too (i think) :eek: But at least I can use my computer again! yay!

thanks for all your help guys, really appreciate it

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds