Need help with drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bladesofhalo, May 9, 2006.

1. Bladesofhalo

Bladesofhalo MajorGeek

I was defraggin my drive today and I analyzed my HP_RECOVERY(D) and it said I had 6% space free, which was affecting my performance, but since it is my recovery drive I cant seem to access it and Im afraid to delete any files but it says I must have at least 20% free space to perform well any ideas?:confused:

2. Europa

Europa Private E-2

Isn't it just saying that Defrag will not perform well on D: drive? I don't think it is talking about your overall system performance. Defrag itself needs a minimum of 15% free space.

You shouldn't need to defrag that recovery drive. Since it is hardly ever used and probably never written to it will not affect your system performance.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Exactly Europa, the defrag app will need and report that it needs some space ( breathing room ) for peak performance, but as your not using that drive an a daily basis, it should not affect performance, plus I would be very loathe to defrag or mess with the recovery partition, in case it ends up becoming corrupt.

4. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Agree with Halo and Europa. Don't attempt to defrag that drive. It is only for emergency recovery. Nothing is usually written to it and it remains as installed. Any slowing of performance will be related to your other drive/s. Bazza

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds