Cableconnectivity issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cmiani, May 10, 2006.

1. cmiani

cmiani Private E-2

Hello, I need some help figuring out why all at the suddent my interent connection is not working anymore....

OPerating System Win XP 64bit
    Nvidia Nforce 4 driver for ethernet and Nvidia firewall
    Cable provider Cox.net
    Asus A8n32-sli deluxe motherboard w/ 2 onboard connection
    Cable is connected directly to PC

Internet connectionis spotty..i can load some pages, not others, and most links do not work unless i open in other window (for example, in this forum, to read the posts i need to Open each one of them in a different window.

I tryed turning firewall on and off, and there is some minor improvement with firewall off, but not much.
    Re-installed drivers...
    Checked with COX, they say their "signal is good, must be my problem"

HELP HELP HELP

2. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Hey cmiani,
    That Nvidia firewall is still buggy and could be the cause of your connection problem. I'm not sure if you can disable it by going in your BIOS or do you have some other motherboard software that you can use?
    If that is the only firewall you are using, I'd get a 3rd party firewall before you disable that one so you don't go unprotected. There are plenty here in the download section.
    Hope that helps.

3. cmiani

cmiani Private E-2

Re: Cable connectivity issue

Thanks did not know that.....
    I spoke today with Cox customer support, and from what they saud it may as well be it.
    The odd thing is that my connection is intermittent, even when i disabled the firewall and the antivirus.
    I tried to ping several sites, and i would get a few good packets then a few time out and on so on.
    On my laptop the connection is working great.....so i decided to clean house.....as i write, i wiped the C: drive....fresh installation.

I guess i will get rid of the nVidia firewall in my next installation

Could it be an hardware issue??? just a last minute though.

Looking for more input....thanks

4. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

I'd see if you have any problems once you lose the firewall. If you still have a problem then can try something else depending on symptoms.

5. No1Stunna

No1Stunna Private E-2

Could be a hardware issue, too. Try swapping out the ethernet/coax cables. If you have a router, take that out of the mix and connect directly to the computer.

Dropping packets on an ethernet connection is worrisome. I've seen it before where the speed & duplex of your ethernet card needs to be changed from Auto.

6. cmiani

cmiani Private E-2

I do believe is an hardware issue.

Firewall and antivirus are not even installed at this point on the PC and it is connected directly to the cable modem.

I am using the onboard LAN on the ASUS A8N32-sli motherboard.

Matter of fact there are 2 LAN connection and one is not even connecting anymore while the other is intermittent.

Is there a way to test hardware??

7. technaut

technaut Private E-2

Ever done a system 32 diagnostics test? It takes forever, but that's the only hardware diagnostic test that I've done. There might be others...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds