Timed Internet?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BigMikeDogg, May 10, 2006.

1. BigMikeDogg

BigMikeDogg Private E-2

Hello. First, I would like to appologize if this has been answered, I looked, but nothing seemed to be the same. Now, down to business.

One of my friends has an issue where his connection to the Internet will work fine for about an hour, then stop working. He is still connected to the LAN, but no Internet. Also, if he restarts his computer, it will work for another hour. As this is not MY computer, I don't know the specs, but I could find out if it is needed. I think it might be a problem with the license. Unless I am WAY off, which it very likely, LOL. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Liro

Liro Private E-2

I just recently began seeing similar performance on one of my machines and wanted to give this question a bump in hopes of getting a little help myself.

Details of the machine in question:
    This machine has and uses two network connections.
    1) a PCI NIC on a 192.168.1.x subnet that is common to all my other personal machines and is the source of this computer's internet connection.
    IP: 192.168.1.102 (assigned IP address)
    SubMask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: <192.168.1.1>
    DNS: 2 IP addresses provided by my ISP, plus my router's IP address.

I believe this adapter to be related to or at least part of this issue.

2) an integrated gigabit adapter on a 192.168.0.x subnet that communicates only with a collection of laptops I manage for work. This subnet is not to have internet connection.

I do not believe this adapter to have anything to do with this issue unless the presence of two adapters complicates things or requires additional configuration I'm not aware of.

I'm happy to provide any additional information, I've just posted what I believed to be pertinent to the issue.

Thanks much for any help.

3. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

If you look at your router, does its IP address change when you lose the connection?

BigMikeDogg - if your friend does an IPCONFIG /RELEASE followed by an IPCONFIG /RENEW can he get back on the Internet without rebooting?

DHCP leases normally are not as short as 1 hour, but I suppose that if the provider was having bandwidth issues by a number of bandwidth hogs...this could be a method of knocking them off of the network. Hummmmm

4. Liro

Liro Private E-2

I can now confirm that there is no change to the router's IP address when Internet connectivity is lost.

5. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

I believe you'll need to take up this issue with your provider.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds