Nvidia firewall

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lbmest, May 10, 2006.

1. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Does anybody know if the bugs have been worked out of the motherboard firewall?
    There's a couple of threads in Networking where it might be applicable.

2. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

The motherboard firewall??? Windows has a built-in software firewall, some routers have built-in hardware firewalls, or you can download a 3rd party software firewall, but I don't know of any 'motherboard' firewall.

3. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Its been around for several years now.

Last time I tried a few months ago, it was even buggier than the time I tried it before.

LOL.

5. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Thanks Adrynalyne.
    I thought I remembered you saying something about it fairly recently.:)

6. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

The first time I tried the nVidia firewall, I discovered two things:
    1. The management software was a web console that, of course, went through the network.
    2. The firewall did not have a default exclusion for the management console.

That struck me as so blatantly stupid that I uninstalled it. I tried again later when I discovered there was a command line tool to manage exclusions. However, the tool was so arcane I suspect that no less than Merlin himself had a hand in it's creation.

I find myself now wondering what would happen if I installed it again and then installed a loopback adapter. Not enough to actually install it a third time, you understand, but I am wondering.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds