Heat Sink Spring Screws FROM HELL!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lowdown187, May 10, 2006.

1. lowdown187

lowdown187 Private E-2

I recently purchased a new CPU Heatsink for a socket 775. It's a thermal-take and my problem is, not suprisingly, with the installation. It doesn't clip in like the regular heat sinks but comes with "spring screws". Any idea how to install these? I don't know if I actually need to screw or simply push them in, or how these screws will latch on to an unthreaded hole. A pic can be found here: http://www.thermaltake.com/coolers/cl-p0092silent775/cl-p0092silent775.htm

The last few days have been immensely fustrating and I'd be eternally grateful for even a little advice...

Thanks,

Lowdown

2. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Welcome to MG I feel your pain brother :( ,from what I can see the screws should thread into the black backplate that should be placed behind your motherboard,this will ofcourse require you to remove the motherboard from the case,my guess is the backplate will have some kind of double sided tape and sponge that you stick to the back of the motherboard screw the motherboard back down into the case then install the heatsink by screwing the 4 screws into the backplate

I'm not sure,are you trying the screwed the screws directly into the motherboard holes,they're too large and the screws wont catch :confused:

Hang in there Bro :)

EDIT,try loosley screwing a screw into a hole on the black backplate see if its threaded?

3. lowdown187

lowdown187 Private E-2

Thanks for advice. The black backplate is definately threaded as it comes attached to the copper base with the screws. I didn't see any double sided tape or adhesive on the back plate, but I do suspect you're right about it going behind the mother board. Thanks again for the help. If anyone else can confirm our suspicions, it would be appreciated.

4. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

5. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

Good advertisement for AMD Processors, and snap on heat sinks.

6. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

ASUS has provided an excellent link and it shows that Rikky was right with the backing plate. I have read of people removing the mobo and placing on the 2 chair backs so they can attain access to the front and back of the mobo simultaneously, carefully mounting their backing plate and HS and then returing both back to the case and plugging in. I haven't had to try this myself and I'm sure you have to be cautious as to not significantly bow the mobo and snapping it, but it may help!?!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds