cable or router?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BigBird, May 10, 2006.

1. BigBird

BigBird Private First Class

I have had a problem for a while. Almost everyday, my connection to the net is broken. 90 percent of the time, I can unplug my router for a few seconds and plug it back in and voila, my connection is back. Sometimes thogh, I have to turn off my puter, reset my modem and router , then restart to get it back. Is this a problem with my router or cable internet issue? BTW I have a Linksys wrt54g.

2. No1Stunna

No1Stunna Private E-2

Take the router out the equation and see how often you drop the connection over a few days.

If it continues without the router, I would call your ISP. They should have monitoring tools on modem where they can check diagnostics over a period of time. With some modems, once the connection "breaks", you need to reboot both computer and modem in order to regain a valid IP to browse.

3. BigBird

BigBird Private First Class

duh, should have done that already. Will post back in a few days.

4. samserver

samserver Private E-2

common issue
    disable dhcp in the router

5. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

I was thinking that was the same router I had - and there is a flash to fix that (DHCP) - but then streaming internet is broken - so I bought a new router.

6. jmuir26

jmuir26 Private E-2

Foogoo. I am having the same problem. What router did you purchace. I have also had problem with the linsys support. Thay are fine but I have a hard time with the accent when they are explaning technical info. Am thinking about getting another router. Have not decided on a good one yet. Any advice is welcome.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds