dell inspiron 8100 cpu / video card cooling

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by languy99, May 11, 2006.

1. languy99

languy99 Corporal

i just got a inspiron 8100 that was not working, i found out the the dc jack's solder joints are bad, so i tore apart the book, and i didn't realise that i didn't have to take off the cpu cooler to get to the jack, my question is do i have to replace the thermal pad on it(its silver not white), and if yes can i use something else like arctic silver ceramique, also is it a phase change pad or just a standard thermal pad? also what about the thermal pad on the video card(its white), that one looks are dry what can i use on that one, i think another thermal pad because its part of the keyboard and the keyboards is not very flat. well thanks in advance for the help.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

As its a laptop, I would go with your inital thoughts or replacing like for like in the thermal pads, too many parts are in close proxemity to effectively use a paste like Arctic Silver as it has capacitive properties and can possibly if not contained short out a contact.

for the video card you could cut up a CPU pad to fit?

3. languy99

languy99 Corporal

so going with the ceramique would be fine? the thermal pad on the cpu cooler is sliver and almost looks like aluminum, but when i took it off it looked like there were air bubbles trapped under it and maybe was making a 70-80% contact on the cpu. the pad on the video card is ticker than any cpu pad i have seen and its big, its really weird looking if you need me to i can attach a picture of it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds