169.254.79.151 ????

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cherokee, May 14, 2006.

1. Cherokee

Cherokee Private E-2

169.254.79.151 ???? That is the IP address one PC is assigned on my home network where the assigned range is 192.168.1.100 through 192.168.1.200.

The network consists of a broadband router connected to a WAN port on a Linksys Wireless Router (LWR) with a 4 port switch. I have connected a 8 port switch to the LWR. I have 7 PCs wired to the network and one wireless. All PCs have been on the network for months working fine with the LWR providing the DHCP server.

Then one day a single PC would not connect to the WEB. I checked all configuration settings and nothing had changed. When I ran an "ipconfig," I noted the strange IP address. I have reinstalled the driver for the NIC. I changed to a static address within the assigned range. I finally completely reinstalled the OS and drivers. It will not connect to the WEB in any configuration.

There is no change. Everytime the PC connects to the LAN, it is assigned the 169.254.79.151 address. I have ordered a new NIC.

Anyone have any other suggestions? :confused:

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Same domain? could you show us the "ipconfig /all" of that one and the same on any that are connecting?

3. user_x

user_x Private E-2

Is it an unmanaged or managed switch?

Check the router's DHCP IP pool to make sure that there are enough IP addresses available for assignment. Sounds like a defective NIC though.

4. user_x

user_x Private E-2

Also, try swapping out the NIC from another PC and testing connectivity. It sounds unlikely, but it could be a software configuration problem.

5. Cherokee

Cherokee Private E-2

Both switches are unmanaged. There are 101 IP addresses available from the DHCP server. The WAN router gets the only routable IP address from the ISP.

I don't know how to capture the screen after I run the "ipconfig /all." I am new to building PCs and don't know my way around some of the basics yet. Can you provide simple directions?

I don't see a lot of difference between the two PC's returned information other than a different manufacturer for the NIC and different IP addresses. I can't figure out where the NIC is getting a 169 address. I am hoping a new NIC will solve the problem.

6. technaut

technaut Private E-2

For 98 or ME, Start, Run, COMMAND to open a DOS window and type:
    For 2K or XP, Start, Run, CMD to open a DOS window and type:

IPCONFIG /ALL >C:\RESULT.TXT

Open C:\RESULT.TXT with Notepad and copy/paste the entire results here.
    (tip from JWill)

For images, printscreen/start/all programs/accessories/paint/edit/paste

7. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

8. Cherokee

Cherokee Private E-2

Redtower Connects without issue.

Windows IP Configuration
    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : redtower
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Marvell Yukon 88E8001/8003/8010 PCI Gigabit Ethernet Controller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-13-D4-27-66-03
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 66.82.4.8
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, May 14, 2006 11:24:29 PM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, May 15, 2006 4:03:29 PM

Rackmount won't connect.

Windows IP Configuration
    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : rackmount
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-2F-6D-43-8F
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.79.151
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

I have swapped cables and ports on the switch without change.

Thanks for providing capture screen directions.:)

9. technaut

technaut Private E-2

You gotta start here.

Why would this PC [only???] not connect to the web?

Are you sure that only this pc would not connect?

If so, then your problem is with this pc.

10. TimW

They both have to belong to the same domain or workgroup .... redtower is connectiong to the router ... the other is not ( no default gateway address). Try static addressing along with the same subnet mask and the gateway address....assuming you've set it to the same domain group/workgroup.

11. Cherokee

Cherokee Private E-2

There is no Domain. They all belong to "Workgroup." All other PCs connect to the WEB. I have tried a static address on "rackmount." It still won't connect. I should have a new NIC today or tomorrow. I have felt it was a bad NIC all along but did not understand where the 169.254 address was coming from. Thanks to LBMEST I now know that Windows is assigning the NIC an IP address. That means it isn't really connecting to anything. I can only ping the NIC itself.

When I replace the NIC, I'll let everyone know if that was the issue. Thanks for the response. I have learned a couple of things and that is why I joined this web site.

All the PCs support the Major Geeks Folding Team. Without WEB access the PC is not productive.

12. TimW

You're last test might be to hook it directly to the router and see if it connects ..... should tell if its the card.

13. samserver

samserver Private E-2

should disable dhcp in router it can get confused with modem dhcp and internal setup.
    nics do go bad

14. Cherokee

Cherokee Private E-2

Yes indeed, NICs do go bad. I installed a new NIC and all is well. Again, thanks for the great response. :)

15. technaut

technaut Private E-2

Thanks to TimW, I found out that IP auto-assign does not always work. I don't know why, either, since the subnet mask was the same for both of my PC's...

And both pc's were in the same workgroup too, ...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds