PC boots for 4-5 seconds, then stops

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BFLeigh, May 14, 2006.

1. BFLeigh

BFLeigh Corporal

Hi,

I've got a similar problem to the threads with titles like this, I press the On button on the PC, and for a few seconds it boots up, then it dies on me. I've gotten to a Laptop to post this, and I have (out-dated) specs about the PC in another one of my threads here I think - I will go fetch that soon.

I've opened the tower up and dusted down the rear and CPU fans, and re-arranged my memory sticks.

Then it booted as normal.

I then turned it off while I reinstalled all the necessary screws, plugs and cleaned up my mess, then when I tried to boot it up after all that, it again did the same thing. I'm back to square one.

Thanks to anybody who can help me.

EDIT: Some of the old specs:

CPU Type Intel Pentium 4A, 2000 MHz (5 x 400)

Motherboard Name Intel Havre D845HV (3 PCI, 1 AGP, 3 DIMM, Audio)

Motherboard Chipset Intel Brookdale i845

System Memory 128 MB (PC133 SDRAM) I now have three sticks of 256mb PC133 SDRAM installed, they have been a great investment and my total ram is 768. Hope this helps

BIOS Type AMI (04/15/02)

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Welcome and let us have a little more info ... when it boots, then dies/stops, do you hear any beeps? One followed by ....? or nothing.
    Do you get a screen at all?
    Had a similar situation not long ago, friend 'puter I offered to look at ... brought it home and it booted right up. She had told me it wouldn't. Cool .... checked some stuff and shut it down ....never started again. Bad, bad power supply. Now, it could be that something is a little loose and reared it's ugly head after putting it all back together .... unplug it .... pres the power button for a good 30-40 seconds. Plug it back in and see if it starts ...if so, immediately go into the bios settings and report back the voltage readings .... esp. if they a fluctuating a lot!! Don't turn it off!!

3. BFLeigh

BFLeigh Corporal

OK, I hear no beeps but the CPU fan/something inside it makes a click and everything halts.

I'm having no luck at getting it started at all now, maybe if I leave it for a longer while. What's the fast and probably expensive solution?

How would I go about checking BIOS and that stuff when the times comes? I'll try doing that on this system just for the heck of it.

4. sewy18

sewy18 Private First Class

This is funny shit.I had the exact same problem last week,
    Computer shuts down at anytime ,it used to be in games ,but got worse and worse I did the exact same thing you did...Im pretty sure your cpu is overheating or your power supply is defective ,that was my problem and it now works.

5. sewy18

what do you mean stops ,does it stop then shut off or stops and freezes.

Btw thats one old system how long have you had it for ,if you had for over 3 years every piece could be broken ,time for an upgrade=(

6. BFLeigh

BFLeigh Corporal

What did you have to do?

7. sewy18

Your computer is old and can have many problems.What i did was first buy a new cpu fan and stop it from overheating.Then baught a new power supply mine was defective.

8. sewy18

im not sure were i got the idea that your comp is 3 year old,sorry

9. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

Sounds like a power issue.. when you say you hear a 'Click' is it exactly that or is it more like a 'Clunk' ?? Check the power lead connection to HD, Unhook your Roms and try one of those power leads to the HD, just connect the HD and nothing else, like disconnect Power to Floppy/Roms as sometimes one of the connectors/leads could be faulty. If it then boots connect back one at a time what has been unpowered.

10. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

No beeps sounds like power supply .... do you have a replacement/ spare that you could try? You can get a 400 watt for like $40.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds