Biulding New computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Criminal_chris, May 15, 2006.

1. Criminal_chris

Criminal_chris Private First Class

Hey I am biulding a new computer and we are having a few problems with seeing a post. I have a DFI NF4 UT SLI-DR Expert a AMD 4200 X2 1 gig of kingston ram a one gig stick so not two 512's. I have a 7900 GT running in 16x PCI express. Everything is put in and hooked up and the computer turns on but we dont see anything on the screen. All i get is a black screen. Now if you look down in the lower left corner you see four diagnostic LED's and they are all lit up red. Please tell me what this means. I know my way around a computer so i will understand what to do. I know that the CPU is put in the right way and the heatsink is on correctly. Any help would be appreciated. The ram is in the farthest slot on the left.

Thanks

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Do you have an onboard video card/plug? if so, use that and hit f8 when you boot to get to safe mode choices and use vga mode .... then you can access your video card properties and install and drivers etc.

3. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

I think you've misunderstood, Tim! From my understanding, Criminal_chris cannot POST, eliminating safe mode as an option.

Criminal_chris, when you hit the power button, does anything happen? Do you hear fans power on? Are there any beeps? Or does nothing at all happen?

4. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Good catch, Mada_Milty .... should have asked that myself!! I think I need a nap!

5. Criminal_chris

ya i guess i should have put that in the original post. All the fans turn on and everything. The cpu fan spins up fine. And there are no beeb codes so i was confused on what to do. The DYI manual doesn't ahve anything on the diagnostic LEDs. The only thing i was thinking is that you have to have to sticks of ram to boot it up correctly. Or possibly the power supply isnt doing its job. THe opwer supply is a brand new Thermaltake TR2-430W. So it should be fine cuase i am not running dual Graphics cards.

6. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

You speak of diagnostic LEDs? Where are these? On the front of the case?

Here's the steps to take to troubleshoot POST before video is active:

1. Sometimes a dead computer can be fixed by simply disassembling it and reseating cables, adapter cards, socketed chips, and memory modules. Bad connections and corrosion are common problems.
    2. Check jumpers and DIP switches on the system board (refer to your motherboard's manual for correct settings), especially those that control CPU memory bus and cache memory.
    3. Troubleshoot the video subsystem (post back for steps)
    4. Check the drive light on the floppy drive or hard drive. If the light stays on, suspect that the data cable connected to the drive is oriented incorrectly. Check that the edge colour of the cable is connected to pin 1.
    5. Exchange the system board, but before you do that, measure the output voltage of the PSU in case it is producing too much power and has damaged the board.

7. Criminal_chris

The LED's are on the motherboard itself. they are in the lower left corner when the motherboard is in the case. i havent moved any of the jupmers so everything shoud be fine. The board is brand new. I will try tking everything out and putting it back in

8. Criminal_chris

ok well thanks guys, i dont know what the problem was but what i did is i unplugged everything un did the CPU heatsink and then put it back on and booted it got pass the four lights and showed three instead. I read online that it ment you had to move your ram to a different slot. The moevd it and now eevrything boots. Thanks

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds