Power Surge! Comp won't start

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by simplysped, May 15, 2006.

1. simplysped

simplysped Private E-2

There was a power surge last night for a second only. And the power came back and my computer won't start.

When it's plugged ini see a light on the motherboard and a light on the back where my CAT5 is plugged in there is a light too.

I'm typing this on my sister's computer by the way :)

What went wrong and what should I replace?

Thanks! :D

2. languy99

languy99 Corporal

did you have the computer plugged into a surge protector? well the easiest and what i hoped happened is that the PSU took the hit and stopped there, but if it went past that it could be the motherboard, ram and who knows what else is damaged.

3. simplysped

simplysped Private E-2

It's plugged into a power strip but it does nto say surge protector on i

4. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

If it's not a surge protector .... languy99 is right .... power supply fried and possibly mobo .... power supply is relatively cheap @$40 for a 400 watt ... I'd replace it and see .....

5. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

I'd try this before replacing anything.

1. Unplug your computer
    2. Flip the voltage selector on the back of your PSU to the opposite setting
    3. Flip the voltage back to the proper setting for your country
    4. Plug your computer back in
    5. Attempt a boot

Some models of PSU have a voltage selector switch that doubles as a circuit breaker. Sounds weird, but I've seen this work!

6. languy99

languy99 Corporal

that might work but ones that i have seen that have that usually cuts all power to the mobo, but he said there are lights on in the computer, but not powering up, so it might have fried some channels in the psu or fried the mobo, if that did happen i would check to see if the ram, video card, hard drive, pci cards, or anything else fried.

7. languy99

languy99 Corporal

ohh yeah and next time buy a surge protector not just a power strip, make sure its at least over 1000 joules, has noise suppression and a led that check your circuits, my favorite is the belkin red box(home) models most of them are just right you can get one from newegg for like $12 or your local retail store should be about $15 not a bad deal. and belkin offers a lifetime warranty too, if it goes bad because of a surge just send it in and they will send you another one. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16812120205

8. simplysped

simplysped Private E-2

I went out and bought a new power supply, Plugged my pc and tried it one more time and it worked :)

Dont know why it didnt work last night when I tried it.. but im happy :)

thanks anyway guys

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds