Multiple Linksys routers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by voghter, May 15, 2006.

1. voghter

voghter Private E-2

I am trying to create 3 seperate networks all sharing one cable internet connection but with NO access between the 3 networks. I have set up one main router (supplied from Road Runner) and have that connectted to one linsys router. From there I was planning on going to two additional 4 port linksys routers (network A and network B) and one 16 port linksys hub (networkC). Once I hookup the additional routers I cannot get internet connection on those networks (A or B) I have tried to configure the second router with a different ip but cant figure out how to do that for the life of me? any help would be great
    voghter

2. user_x

user_x Private E-2

Turn off DHCP for every other router except the router that you got from your ISP (or whichever is the interface between your private network and the internet). For simple 4 port routers daisy chained together, just let DHCP handle all IP assignment.

Connect network cables from the LAN port on the road runner router to the uplink port of each of the routers.

As for "no access" between them, I'm not quite sure what you mean. You can simply disable file/print sharing and no data will be able to be accessed across each interface..

3. voghter

voghter Private E-2

I have tried to modify the router settings (disconnecting the working first router and hooking up the routers to be chained directly to the modem so I can access the online Linksys router setup page) but the settings page for Linksys will not load (all other pages on the Linksys router page load great). How can I modify the settings on the router without using this internet service?

4. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

5. voghter

voghter Private E-2

Can I modify this setup for 2 wired networks where network 1 won't see network2. The link was for a single wireless network and a wired network. If this is just as simple as changing router 1 (in the link) to a wired router GREAT, then only one question how do I configure the settings on the second router?

6. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

Yap, just ignore the Wireless part.

:D

7. voghter

voghter Private E-2

Let's just prempt this with, Yes I am stupid. So how do I go about modifing the router settings (Windows? Symantec? or is there a software I should be using?)?

8. user_x

user_x Private E-2

Think of your router's configuration page as a website. To get into your 'router website', enter the IP address of the router into a browser window and press enter. Just like with majorgeeks.com or any other websites, attached to that domain name there is an underlying IP address associated with it. You can type in 67.19.72.101 into your browser and it will work just the same, minus the DNS query.

So, my shot in the dark would be to type in:

192.168.x.1 into your browser, with 'x' on the third octet of the IP address being 0, 1, or 2 most likely. Let me know how you did.

9. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

Linksys routers are default 192.168.1.1 with the user name left blank and password "admin".

You should make sure to change the addresses of the routers so their not all the same.

If you wanted to, you could use hotspot software like lessnetworks on a computer with 2 network cards to isolate one network from another.

My configuration is as follows: Cable Modem -to- Linux machine for DHCP and Router -to- 24 prot switch for primary network -to- a Lessnetworks Linux box to provide internet access for visitors without allowing them access to my network.

[Edit] www.lessnetworks.com

10. YACKSTER

YACKSTER Private E-2

I have linked two different routers together so my system is ISP-LINKSYS #1 w/firewall -LINKSYS #2 w/firewall. Both router networks talk fine to each other and can get out to the internet but the two LINKSYS router networks cannot talk to each other. How to I open up a "tunnel" between LINKSYS #1 and LINKSYS #2 so say with a password I can file share between the two? Or have a specific directory available on say LINKSYS #2 for all the computers on LINKSYS #1?

Thanks...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds