Help! I have had a Bios snafu

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rmruk, May 16, 2006.

1. rmruk

rmruk Private E-2

þ ROM BIOS by Phoenix Technologies Ltd., http://www.phoenix.com/, 09/03/04
    Model: PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6.0

þ DMI.BaseBoardInformation:
    Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
    I have a Compaq Presario 2120us laptop. Recently, the Compaq website offered a bios flash upgrade. This was directly from the download section for my specific computer. I performed the flash.

Here's the problem... They obviously had the wrong file posted, because now, the bios is recognizng my computer as a Pavillion ze4200. The computer will work, but I am having a lot of intermittent problems (booting, freezing, etc...)

Here are the details of how the bios (and my computer) is being recognized:

Product: 0024
    Serial Number: None

þ DMI.SystemInformation:
    Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
    Product Name: Pavilion ze4200
    Version: qKA.Mx.xx
    Serial Number: CN30806510

þ DMI.BIOSInformation:
    Vendor Name: Phoenix Technologies Ltd.
    BIOS Version: KA.M1.26
    BIOS Starting Address Segment: E553h
    BIOS Release Date: 09/03/2004
    BIOS ROM Size: 512 KB

I talked to Compaq about the problem, but I might as well be speaking Greek to them. They are very blase' about the problem, and all they would do is email me the latest flash for my computer (the presario 2120us).

Of course, when I try to run the flash, it will not allow it saying that the flash is not for my computer (now thinking that it is the pavillion!).

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can reolve this and get back to the proper bios settings?

Thanks in advance for sharing my headache!:eek:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds