Page File Help!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sewy18, May 17, 2006.

1. sewy18

sewy18 Private First Class

Was not shore were to post this,

I have 2 gigs of ram and an fx53 what should my Virtual memory(Paging file) be set to?
    I read to set it double the amount of your ram so I set to 4000 ,I attahed a picture of my virtual memory is this right or to high?

Attached Files:

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

A static size is good.

4000kb is excessive. Try about 512-768mb.

Unless you do heavy graphics work.

3. sewy18

sewy18 Private First Class

4. Natakel

Natakel Guest

I have read that also, and as long as you have enough hard-drive space that seems like an ok setting - though I am no expert. I also set my min-max to the same amount. It kind of depends on what you do with the computer in the long run. It may not hurt to check your Task Monitor (ctrl-alt-del) and look at the information under the 'Performance tab.' You can get an idea of what your system demands are and tailor a setting from those.

A few other things about the page file - it is recommended by most experts to not put the page file on the same partition that your operating
    system is on, or if you have more then one physical drive, to place the primary page file on the non-operating system drive. Savvy people have also stated it is best to leave a small page file on the operating system drive
    (opinions vary about what constitutes small . . . I have two physical drives
    and leave 200mbs on the operating system drive). Like I said I am no real
    expert, but around 2x the ram and the placement of the page file as
    described has worked very well for me.

A good source of information on this topic and others can be found
    at www.tweakguides.com I have found it to be very helpfull.

Good luck

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds