Looking for document scanner recommendation

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by thai_american_42, May 17, 2006.

1. thai_american_42

thai_american_42 Corporal

I have Windows XP and am looking to buy a scanner to scan documents composed of 8 1/2" x 11" sheets, with the document size ranging from 10 pages to 30 pages. The documents will contain mostly typed text and some hand drawn line diagrams. It would be nice to automatically feed the documents and to have optical character recognition and to fax.

I'm leaning towards an HP Scanjet 5590 Digital Flatbed Scanner for $300. However, I am open to other suggestions or reading about your scanner experiences.

2. thai_american_42

thai_american_42 Corporal

After much research, I determed that most scanners are sold to scan in photographs, something I don't need. They also have things called all-in-ones, with fax, scanning, copying, printing, etc. all contained in one machine. I needed to buy an older machine (from 2004) to get what I want.

I settled on the HP Scanjet 5590 Digital Flatbed Scanner based on PC World's recommendation and got a bottomlineprice (including shipping and tax) of $271.00 by using pricegrabber.com less the $5.00 Rebates & Special Offer Bonus.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds