Even more geekier than the EVEREST program

Discussion in 'Software' started by bigbazza, May 26, 2006.

1. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Came across thsi program on MG.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/SIW_System_Info_d4387.html

2. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

Best one I've seen is WinAudit.

It lists almost everything, but you don't need to install it.

3. theefool

theefool Geekified

Everest HAD a version, that you didn't need to install it also.

I'm just partial to everest, due to its more pleasant...umm...visuals... :)

4. Insomniac

Yeah, Everest had a version that didn't have to be installed.

I love Everest too, but it's no longer free (like what the same author did to Aida32, offer it free to get market share, then charge).

Any new hardware won't be supported unless you buy the latest version.

5. bigbazza

SIW is also free and does not need to be installed. It might just ft on a floppy, as well, for those still using floppies.

Didn't know Everest was no longer free.
    I'm using v2.01.347 at present, from MG, if I remember correctly.

BTW, I have reduced my swapfile size from 1.5gigs to 0.5 gigs for a saving of 1 gig hard drive space. Maximum used, today, is 95 megabytes. Still 4 times bigger than I need but will leave it as 500 megs.

Maximum used yesterday was 134 megs when running all my housekeeping stuff at the same time. Bazza

===

6. Insomniac

Don't know why you reduced your swap file so much mate (small sizes encourage framentation which will affect performance).

It depends on how you use the PC (still, you should never set it so low , and you should NEVER set it lower than the installed RAM), but personally, I'd either set a static size of 1.5 x the amount of RAM, or use a performance monitor to set it, but I've found no performance benefit in either method.

7. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>> Much more informative than EVEREST. So much info that it is almost impossible, for me anyhow, to comprehend. << bigbazza

SIW is a definitely very comprehensive system information tool. My advice: Make sure that you check out the preferences section of SIW where you can choose from many additional options. The fact that you can run the program directly from a USB flash drive is very handy; especially if you're on the road and using a company computer and need a quick audit. I have tested just about every version update since version 1.46 - which was originally posted around Dec 2004.

However it missed a few things when I tested it last (version 1.60). For instance it missed my AGP video card and also missed my network card with IPX/SPX protocol. It is definitely very useful software in any case, I believe this program has great potential and it 'updates' very often so who knows what the future may bring. [It has actually been updated 5 times this year alone!]

When it comes to this kind of system information "audit" tool my two favorites are definitely WinAudit and Belarc Advisor. Belarc - although far more basic than SIW - will still provide an easy-to-view "one-page" HTML output file of the results. It additionally provides an alphabetical list of all of the programs installed on your computer [wherever they are, whatever drive, etc] and provides a tiny hyperlink asterisk (*) next to the end of the name of each program which will take you to each installed program's contents by opening that folder!

This is particularly handy whenever you install something and forget where you installed it or if the folder is named something different than the name of the application or utility. Also, using the Belarc Advisor will provide PC users with a full readout of all "successfully" [as well as unsuccessfully] installed hotfixes.

With WinAudit I can print out 'before' and 'after' configurations and output them as text, HTML, CSV, or XML and even email the reports in whatever format for later filing and storage. This program is very easy to use and it creates the reports in like 10 seconds and is wonderfully implemented.

Good Luck!

Last edited: May 28, 2006
  8. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Another good diagnostic and system info app is SiSoftware Sandra 2005 (think they have it here) this app has so many options you almost need a degree to use it. My favorite is thye environment monitor if you are tweaking with things you can set the sample increments and monitor temps/volts/fan rpms over time.

It has numerous benchmark and optimising options and hints on how to improve performance, the list goes on and on and on and it's FREE, the best sort. I don't even understand > 65% of it's potential.

Attached Files:

• a.jpg
      a.jpg
      File size:
      79.8 KB
      Views:
  9. bigbazza

Thanks Insomniac.
    I suggest you try it and see for yourself. 1.5 times 1 gig of RAM is overkill, IMHO.

Load SIW. Go to Hardware--->System Info and check out SwapFile, MAX used and In use.

You will be astonished (if I understand / read, it correctly). I think 1.5 times is now an urban myth for PC's with lots of RAM (and wastes a lot of hd space). Depends I guess, if you are a power user. I am not.

Someone would really need to put up some proof for me to go back to 1.5 times Ram.

This program (SIW) is the first I have seen that actually shows SwapFile used versus SwapFile allocated.

Look forward to contrary views, based on actual tests. Bazza

==

10. Insomniac

It's up to you, but 1.5 times is not an urban myth.

Todays programs are very demanding.

Anyway, read for yourself and do a Googly. http://www.petri.co.il/pagefile_optimization.htm

Micro$$oft themselves, and every reputable site I've seen recommends 1.5x +.

11. bigbazza

Thanks Insomniac, for the link. Will check it out. :cool:

To quote from PCUtilities (UK) mag, #71, in OZ newsagents now, pp84-85,

"However, the more physical RAM you have, the less likely it is that you'll need 1.5 times that amount of paging space. There's a complex formula for working out the the optimum size - we don't have the space to go into this here, but if you're interested take a look at www.the eldergeek.com/sizing_the_page_file.htm".

I haven't checked that out yet, as I just got the mag on Sunday.

The mag also goes onto suggest a maximum size equal to the amount of RAM installed provided you have greater than 768mb of physical RAM in your PC.

Just checked SIW on my laptop right now.
    My RAM = 1gig
    SwapFile = 500megs.
    Max used 86 megs.

I will keep testing but so far see no need for greater than 500 megs (with a good safety margin) for MY PC and my NEEDS. Every user will be different, of course. I am only pointing out what (appears) to work for me. Bazza

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds