Increase Cpu Fan speeds???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Thrice79, May 31, 2006.

1. Thrice79

Thrice79 Private E-2

:) I was running a P4 @ 3.00Ghz (roughly 57 degrees C) until the fan busted on it (started making an evil noise). So I went out and bought a new heatsink and fan Thermaltake Golden Orb 2, and installed it. Running @ roughly 47 degrees everything's peachy!

:confused: My question is... is there a way to increase the rpms?

(as I wouldn't mind it a bit cooler not to concerned about noise) The mobo is a Asus p5p800 I was in the bios but it seems the fans speed are all locked (or set at Default) Also the new fan is 3 pin where as the old fan was a 4 pin.

Thanks for your help in advance

2. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Install the fan into a system fan header or directly into a molex,these usually run slightly higher voltage dues to the load they can come under,you will have to disable any CPU fan speed warnings in bios unless you can hook the speed sensor into the cpu fan header,some boards wont even post without an RPM sensor

I have my nv5 silencer hooked into a system fan header other than from the card as it runs the fan as full speed all the time and has a slightly higher peak RPM:)

3. Thrice79

Thrice79 Private E-2

thanks Rikky, I will look into that.

4. Thrice79

Thrice79 Private E-2

:) Oky Dokey, Thanks for the advance. It got the wheels turning in my head, and i went out and but a fan commander. I have the cpu fan at 1770 rpm (maxed out) temps are very cool for this machine, approx. :D 45 under load and 36 idle. And it is still quiet! Thanks for your help Rikky

5. Thrice79

Thrice79 Private E-2

Ooops! advance = advice

6. Natakel

Natakel Guest

I can swear and affirm this does indeed work - the PC board (FIC AM35) has CPU/System fan speed control which can not be turned off in the bios. I was able to do pretty much what Rikky said, and it worked flawlessly. I used
    a 3-pin to 4-pin molex converter, and a spare 3-pin plug. I just hooked the sensor wire from the fan to the 3-pin plug (having taped off the power leads) and plugged it into the cpu-fan plug. Now my fan is running at 4800rpms, my temp has dropped around 15C, and I can still check the rpm's in bios, etc.
    Life is good!

7. Thrice79

Thrice79 Private E-2

You guys would never guess what happened, I bought that fan commander it blew, resulting no fan. (ooops...........lol). Anyway back to square 1, I am gonna try the molexes on payday thanks guys. Just wondering does every fan have the sensor?

8. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

No they dont ya have to carefull which one buy,most these days do cheaper ones dont as the fan is easier to manufacture :)

For fan speed controllers you also need the 3pin system fan header not the molex connector,unless you have the converter :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds