Pie chart of hard disk space used.

Discussion in 'Software' started by bigbazza, Jul 22, 2006.

1. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

I came across this program, after re-reading an old PC mag.

JDiskReport from www.jgoodies.com.

Needs Java. Works well. Depends on your hard drive size, how long it takes.

60 gig hard drive of mine did not take too long.
    Really highlights what Folders are hogging your hard drive.
    Windows XP Pro, 2½ gigabytes, for example.

Should be in every technicians (and helpers) armoury, if someone is losing HD space.
    My mate has used 16 gigs on his laptop and I will email this to him so he can track down where the space has gone. Probably pictures (no, not Pron :D )

No instal necessary, I think, so keep it on a USB pen drive, if you help others.
    Bazza
    PS: there was a recent thread involving hard drive space used, but I couldn't find it so I have started this thread. Baz

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

I have that one Bazza, nice little app with much info on used space and whats taking up that space, also have this installed at present Overdisk

3. bigbazza

Also has the Top 100, by age of program, type of programs (exe's, dll's, etc). :cool: :cool:
    Work your way through the tabs for the optional methods of reporting.
    @Halo@
    Might have known you already had it.:D :) Bazza
    PS: I think it will become one of my "must haves". Baz

===

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

I have to agree with you Bazza, apps like these while do not alter the world, do help find lost space and what areas is taking up muchos space. I just like graphical thingies!

5. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

Scanner is one of my favorites. Just point to the color on the chart and the exact directory folder path shows up:

[​IMG]

After that just copy the path to Start > Run, click OK and you're right there in the exact directory folder of the "space hogging" application! ;)

Good Luck!

6. star17

star17 MajorGeek

7. bigbazza

star17, have to agree.
    At a quick glance, I can't get my mind around that one. :confused: :p :( Bazza

===

8. bigbazza

Thanks COMPUABLE, :) another worthwhile alternative pie chart. :cool: Bazza

===

9. bigbazza

I think I'll keep them both. 2 different ways of providing info, but both good. Bazza

10. abri

abri MajorGeek

bigbazza,
    Sorry this is coming in a little late. What is this: add Scanner to ContextMenu.reg? Is that something I want or need to do?
    abri

11. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

I'd say that is a registry patch that will add an item to the right click menu so you can just right click on a folder or drive and run the scanner on it to display the data for that location.

12. abri

abri MajorGeek

oh, thanks Matt,
    That makes me think of one other question. I've been using Sygate for a firewall which I like a lot, and I remember when I first installed it, it shows a moving graph with peaks on it for what's being used, and it used to be that I could just point at that graph and the name of the process that was passing by my cursor, so I could easily look at what the peaks were. Now when I point at it, it shows nothing. I strated wondering if I'd dreamed that or if there's a setting that would make it show that. Ever heard of that?
    abri

13. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

Not sure , its been years since I used sygate, Try a new thread in the software forum.

14. bigbazza

matt, you are probably correct. I've never noticed that option. (Scanner progarm).

I just run it manually (you might say) when I want to check out something in particular.

The option to include it in the right click context menu could prove very useful.
    I must check that out. Bazza

PS: Just checked out Scanner, which is the pie-chart program I prefer.
    I could not find that option. I've clicked on every button, right and left click and can't find it. Baz

===

15. theefool

theefool Geekified

It is a .reg file that comes downloaded with the program. :)

16. bigbazza

Thanks, theefool. I now can see it in the program folder contents.
    What is the safest way to activate it?
    Do I just click on it and it installs automatically, or open it up, read about it, and modify my Registry? Bazza

===

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds