sound problems

Discussion in 'Software' started by nintendopwns, Jul 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nintendopwns

nintendopwns Private E-2

I have a Gateway MX6025 notebook computer and have reformatted the hard drive and reinstalled windows xp home. I had no drivers so i went to gateway's site and looked up a list of my computers drivers and burned them to a disc and imported them to my computer. Everything works fine except the sound. Whenever i try to install the driver automatically it says it cant find the necessary files and when i try to do it manually i get a flash of a blue screen and my computer restarts. HELP!

2. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

I would suggest downloading the driver again and saving it to your desktop, possibly bad download and you burnt it to disc. Install from your desktop and if successful then burn and save. ed

3. nintendopwns

nintendopwns Private E-2

Well, I just dl'd the driver again unzipped it ( It automatically unzips to the "cabs" folder) and read the read me , which says after unzipping the driver to just go to device manager, pick multimedia audio controller, and click update driver. I tried asking it to search for the driver files to install automatically but it never finds anything. I had to manually choose the driver
    to get anywhere. Once i did that, it semmed like it started to work until it stopped and said it needed "camc6aud" to continue. The thing is, that file was already in the cabs folder, so I select it manually and continue. I finishes up and then my computer goes to a blue error screen and restarts.
    After my computer restarted, I went into the "cabs" folder where the driver unzipped and looked in the folder. There were 2 files that caught my eye: Setup and hfxsetup. When i clicked setup it asked me if i wanted to install the dirvers for my multimedia audio controller (whats not working) so i clicked install. It failed. I tried doing this a few times more but it continued to fail. I then moved on to hfxsetup. An error message came up saying it was not a valid win32 app. Im really confused about all this..

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

There are two drivers for sound listed for your laptop, Conexant and SoundMax have you tried both?

Did you also on re-install of XP install the intel chipset drivers?

5. nintendopwns

nintendopwns Private E-2

i didnt see soundmax when i entered my serial in their site for drivers, but ill find some and give them a try anyways, and no i didnt reinstall the chipset dirvers, ill try that as well.

6. nintendopwns

nintendopwns Private E-2

Nope, soundmax wont work. And I'm getting to the chipset drivers...

7. nintendopwns

nintendopwns Private E-2

Darn. I reinstalled the cipset drivers and then tried installing the conexant drivers again. The "setup" still fails to install and the "hfxsetup" file does nothing now when i click on it, as opposed to an error message saying that its not a win32 app. I also sent an email to gateway whihch of course didnt help me any.

8. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

When the setup for the sound driver fails to install is their a full error message, if so what is it?

Try this way of installing as per a Gateway install instruction file.

http://support.gateway.com/support/...io Driver Version: 6.14.10.0565&uid=130253053

9. TDK83

TDK83 Private E-2

I downloaded the driver from http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/dlac97-2.aspx?lineid=5&famid=12&series=8&Software=True and didn't work for my Gateway MX6025. I discovered that Windows XP Professional has a driver that works. Try this:
    1. In Control Panel -> System -> Device Manager -> Multimedia Audio Controller right click Update Driver
    2. Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)
    3. Don't search. I will choose the driver to install
    4. Select Manufacturer: Intel and Model: Intel(r) AC'97 Audio Controller
    5. Click Yes and then Finish

10. hendomatic

hendomatic Private E-2

actaully i have the exact same labtop and if you dont have xp profesional i would suggest to go to the hp support site and look up the Intel(r) AC'97 Audio Controller i done this and it worked fine.
    it is completly rediculous how gateway would put faulty drivers on thier site.
    it wasnt untill i came upon this forum and tried the drivers tdk83 suggested that i got my sound working

11. laptop_barn

laptop_barn Private E-2

You guys ROCK!! I was pulling my hair out with one just like this one until I stumbled on this thread. Thanks the Intel (r) '97 driver worked like a charm.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds