Apps Opening Which I Don’t Want Opening

Discussion in 'Software' started by mark59, Nov 13, 2023.

1. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

When I run CCleaner (1) on my PC (2,3) it always asks me to close “Internet Explorer” and “Microsoft Edge”. I do not use either of these apps. If CCleaner is asking me to close them they must be open. If I don’t use them why are they open? I’ve been into Start>Settings>Apps>Startup to ensure that “Microsoft Edge” is switched off. It is. There is simply no choice there for “Internet Explorer”. Why are these apps starting up and running on my PC when I don’t want them to and I haven’t opened them? Indeed, where I can choose, i.e. with “Microsoft Edge”, I have it set not to run. However, if CCleaner is telling me they need to be closed before it can clean everything they must be starting and running on my PC. Is there anything I can do to stop these apps running?

1. CCleaner Free Version 6.17.10746 (64-bit) – which is up-to-date
    2. Acer Aspire XC-840
    3. Windows 11 Home Version 23H2 – which is up-to-date

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

If you download and install Microsoft's autoruns.exe you will get a complete view of every process that is starting with Windows, and I guarantee you will have many surprises. You can search for specific processes even using just a part of the process name, and if you run the program As Administrator you can disable (uncheck) individual startups. You could start by searching for Edge.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns

3. A1phaG33k

A1phaG33k Private First Class

I go into services and disable them. Do this only if you never use them. Otherwise set them to manual so they do not auto start.

4. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

I didn't realise so much stuff opened up when you swicth your PC on.

I've tried, as best I can, to stop Edge and IE. I don't want to do too much as autoruns brings up a lot of info I simply don't understand. It looks designed for the more advanced IT user than simple ones like me.

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

mark59 likes this.
  6. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

7. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

I'm trying Earthling's recommendation on my desktop PC and plodr's on my laptop. I can then decide which one I find easier to use.

8. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Sounds like a good plan.

9. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

I'm not impressed by these programmes.

I've used Autoruns on my desktop PC to stop Edge and IE running but when I turn on my PC each day they're running again.

With What Run In Startup on my laptop it only lists three things and I can't believe there's only three things running. It doesn't list Edge and IE which I know are running.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds