noobie intro, will need help

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by RenegadeT, Sep 23, 2007.

1. RenegadeT

RenegadeT Private E-2

Hi there!
    I've been reading this forum and trying to get my computers up to geek status before I start posting any specifics. My Thinkpad with XP took a dump on 9/11, and I've been working off my old PC with WinMe for a bit now. Malware/Virus/Hardrive problem...I can't tell whats up with it yet :cry

I am finding some harddisk errors, Symantec AV isnt finding anything, but it seems like something has got into the laptop and disabled the My Network Connections, and Firewall. When I try to access the Security tab in Windows, it gives me a window saying something like "another process is using this function".

As I familiarize myself here and get the latest freeware up and running, I'll post more details.
    -Tony

2. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

Welcome to Major Geeks :major

3. wildwolf220

wildwolf220 Oracle of Doom

hi and welcome aboard..

4. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Hi Renegade. Welcome to MGs :)

Take a trip over to the malware forum and follow the stickied thread 'Read and Run Me'. If it's malware, they should be able to help you out over there.

Good luck.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds