Hello Hate to say new to this but have question

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by patrikwill, Sep 29, 2007.

1. patrikwill

patrikwill Private E-2

Hello, I am happy there is a friendly site like this. More later but straight to question: I was given a 2nd computer. Added antivirus/spam trend nitro, deleted Norton (always too intrusive for me) BUT When I right click on anything an info box appears trying to install Norton, hit cancel and many seconds later am able to do the task at hand. FIRST: How do I keep this from happening? (I assume I do this with regedit, but haven't done that before) SECOND: How would I have found the answer on here without having to post? IN other words, I searched for awhile, didn't know what subject to really look for and then asked so I could get on with things ON this computer I have Windows XP Pro. Thanks for your help. I can't wait till I can be the one helping. My other computer is Windows Vista Ultimatte and I know it probably isn't a popular view, but I love it since I added more memory and updated some of the hardware. (I was beta tester for it, so have some whatever about it to begin with) Sorry for long post, couldn't help myself and thanks for any info you give.

2. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

Welcome to Major Geeks :major

Apart from using the search box at the top, posting is the best way.

Someone should be along shortly with an answer for you.

I believe you will actually get a positive response for giving Vista a fair go, a lot of people seem to give up on it without giving it a fair chance.

3. patrikwill

patrikwill Private E-2

Thanks, Maybe not to most here, I feel pretty advanced but lose a little confidence when I have heard the word but don't know how to do it, like what is an avatar: (an animation of myself? I don't have so maybe pic?)

4. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

An avatar is meant to be a representation of yourself, but for most of us it is just a whimsical picture of some sort or other, like the blue cat I have for mine.

I don't actually look like that (most of the time) :D

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

You as well.... I still do testing on Vista and latest is SP1..... fun fun times!

Welcome to Majorgeeks.

6. papabobber

papabobber Private E-2

Hello Im new here and was told Id get an answer here :).I have a PC that is going to go down the road behind the car real fast and soon lol.The problem Im having is it wont start up.I get a error on start up.It tells me

Awards BootBlock BIOS v1.0

BIOS ROM checksum error

Detecting floppy drive A media

Ive tried to load it from a staar up Floppy I made and no luck it starts to load and all new stuff starts to happen.This all started with the wife just shutting it off and all the reading I did today its either my BIOS or MS-DOS?
    If anyone knows how to fix this please please help:confused

If you have a solution to this Email me at [email address removed] or MSN.com

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2007
  7. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Papabobber - welcome to Majorgeeks.com :)

It's better to start your own thread than ride on the back of someone else's with a different issue. You may like to start a new thread in the software forum, where more people will see your posting and hopefully be able to assist you.

8. patrikwill

patrikwill Private E-2

I see where someone attached onto this thread with a different problem. I empathize. I am sure it is easy to know where to go here, but I don't yet, so I hope you wize geeks will gently lead the way. I posted 2 issues the first time (1. I like Vista) and 2. I have inherited a computer from a friend and want to get rid of Norton Antivirus but it has a password that previous owner doesn't remember so I can't remove it. Can't I take Symantec out of the regedit and if so how and wouldn't that solve the problem even though it would still be taking up space on my hard drive?

9. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Welcome to Majorgeeks.com.

As I said in the previous post, it's better to start another thread in the correct forum, where more people will see your posting and hopefully be able to assist you.

Forums can be found on this page http://forums.majorgeeks.com/index.php

10. wildwolf220

wildwolf220 Oracle of Doom

:wave and welcome to MG's..

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds