hi,first post disillusioned fan

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by dawnikki, Oct 7, 2007.

1. dawnikki

dawnikki Private E-2

everything I have wanted to download I type into the search majorgeeks...I supposed that majorgeeks would not offer downloads for crap...but I got sucked into web accelerator not 30 minutes after receiving a clean bill of health from hijackthis...even killbox cannot eliminate this program and duhh...I tried control panel..it is gone from there but still on my puter..contacted google who immediately sent an autoresponse telling me they were consentrating on making web accelerator better and probably would not get back to me...NICE!! Please help! I feel betrayed by the site I trusted most:(

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Defendgate is a trustworthy program, your problems came from elsewhere. After 36,000+ downloads, your the first to complain about it :)

3. Cat_w_9_lives

Cat_w_9_lives Major KittyCat

Hello Dawn,

Welcome to MGs,

From your message I think you installed Google Web Accelerator, Web Accelerator 2.2, Defendgate is a different program. Since you sent a msg to Google, it seems likely you install that one.

If you installed the Google Web Accelerator, instructions re turning off, uninstall are here: http://webaccelerator.google.com/support.html#basics8

BTW I can't find the Google one in MGs downloads, so think you are mistaken on where the file came from.

Also, Hijackthis is a reporting tool for advanced users. It's not a antivirus/spyware program when scanning files use a antivirus/spyware program. It's best not use advanced software unless you understand the outcomes and Hijackthis can be dangerous in the wrong hands.

My guess is you have chopped the program to bits now with the tools you used and the quickest way to uninstall it would be to reinstall then uninstall the correct way. Web accelerators make many changes in the registry.

*If you post a question in a forum, word your request with some respect for the site and you will find people are very willing to help. My first reaction was to ignore you, second was to show my irish, but decided you’re frustrated. The only crap we have around here is a little pile icon in the shoutbox :)

4. chaslang

chaslang MajorGeeks Admin - Master Malware Expert Staff Member

In addition to what Major Attitude said and I agree with, I have to comment on the below statement.
    HijackThis cannot give you a clean bill of health because it is not a malware scanning or autodetection program. It is just a tool used by experts to aid in the process of removing a limited set of certain malware infections (mostly hijackers) but it does not detect anything automatically. All HijackThis logs do is show you a currently running process list and a handful of registry keys out of the tens of thousands that exist.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds