Vundo Removed For First Time User- Brilliant!

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by Hatty, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Hatty

Hatty Private E-2

I spent the last 10 days trying to rid my girlfriend's laptop from a very unpleasant variant of Vundo. Only when I stumbled across this site (having unsuccessfully tried various others) and religiously followed the Read Me First Guide did I manage to shake it off. So very many thanks indeed!

I had to run through the guide 3-4 times to finally come clean, and then after running CCleaner, it was still necessary to delete a whole bunch of spurious files left in various places. I then had to fix the Registry to get MS Word and MS Photo Editor to work.

The guide is outstanding. Firstly in terms of tool selection and clarity about how to run them, and secondly by enforcing method and discipline providing the confidence to go in and fix things in areas where previously I wouldn't have dared to tread.

Since I deinstalled Symantec and installed the firewall, anti virus and spyware recommended the performance has gone through the roof. No more ~LUCOMS, or the other two crazy Symantec processes periodically eating 100% of the CPU. I'm in the process of doing exactly the same to my other PCs. It seems to me a rather poor show that not only does the paid for Symantec protection software eat vast amounts of performance, but it doesn't work. It allowed the infection in in the first place, and then its Vundo fix software was completely useless.

Although all the tools now run clean I still have a nagging doubt that there is still something lurking somewhere, or that the Registry is still screwed up (the MS Photo Editor only came to light when the attempted opening of an email attachment failed).

Is there anything else I should/could do to check I'm clean, or am I now just chasing phantoms?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2008
  2. dr.moriarty

dr.moriarty Malware Super Sleuth Staff Member

;) Run the tools again to get fresh logs and post them in a new thread in the Malware Removal forum. The experts will advise you.

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35

dr.m

3. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

There is no doubt that the malware people here are the best...be that anywhere online or telephone support.

Glad you got things working.

As the dr said, I would start a thread in the malware forum and post all the logs they ask for in the Read and Run thread.

4. wildwolf220

wildwolf220 Oracle of Doom

:wave and welcome to MG's..

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds