Hello

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by gail12, Jan 24, 2008.

1. gail12

gail12 Private E-2

Hello everyone
    I am new here..not sure where to post this question, but hopefully someone can help me out!
    I have windows XP, mozilla firefox..its a used Computer so originally was not mine but came downloaded with Windows Xp and Norton antivirus. My Norton antivirus expired 2004..I have a Big warning (yellow) Norton anti-virus display saying it expired across my computer screen..how do I get RID of this for good without just right clicking and moving it out of my viewing way?
    Also, I cannot for the life of me get my Copper.net HIGH SPEED accelerator to work
    . The Copper techs told me to delete my old Norton anti-virus..how do I do this and do I need a product # (Norton) because I was not original owner of this computer..PLEASE help..everyone says AVG is good to use for free..but also I heard not to have 2 virus programs downloaded at once..so , do I need to get rid of the old Norton Antivirus (delete it)?and seems like I have other computer problems w/ my browser (pg will not download/open)..any help, much appreciated!! Thanks~~

2. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Hi and welcome :)

This post should be in software.

You should be able to uninstall Norton by going into your Control Panel and going into Add/Remove. After you have done that, you should also download this Norton Removal Tool http://www.majorgeeks.com/Norton_Removal_Tool_SymNRT_d4749.html and run it to get rid of all traces of Norton.

Yes...uninstall your Norton before installing another antivirus program. You should only have one in use at a time. I would recommend doing this immediately. Use this page as a guide for what you should have installed as far as protection. http://www.majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=20

That should get you started. Any other questions, please post in the forum you think it belongs (software, hardware, malware, etc)

Good luck :)

3. gail12

gail12 Private E-2

Hi !And thanks for your fast help..I tried to post in another forum but could not see anywhere to post..I went into TECH SUPPORT but I don't see anywhere where it says POST THREAD?????

4. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Here's the main forum page which I think you saw since you found this forum: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/

Just scroll down and you'll see the different forums. Click on Software and you can start a new thread in there.

Any other questions....go right ahead and ask. :)

5. gail12

gail12 Private E-2

:)Hey Laura
    Thanks so much for your fast help..Yu are super!
    I could not find my Norton anti-virus anywhere in MY CONTROL panel..I see Symantec and one Norton upgrade, but no Norton anti-virus program..
    Oh I wish I was a computer geek!I wanna get rid of this old 2004 Norton Anti-virus !

6. wildwolf220

wildwolf220 Oracle of Doom

:wave and welcome to the forums..

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds