What to do after formatting C:

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by Lollyde, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Lollyde

Lollyde Private E-2

Hi,
    My name is Lauren and I am new to Major Geeks. So far I love it, but haven't found the answer to my particular problem. Also am not sure just where to post my question, so here goes.

I got my Mom a new computer and took her old Win 98 home to format and re-install Win 98 so I could give it to someone. The formatting went fine, so then I got her old Win 98 Boot cd, wasn't sure where to go from there so I copied the boot cd to C:, and then extracted it in C:. That seemed to work good, but then after rebooting the computer it started up great and then said "Searching for Boot Record from IDE 0 - ok"
    Next it said " Invalid System disk, Replace the disk and press any key"

I tried the Boot disk in A: again, no good, I tried Win 98 install disk in D:, no good.

Can you help? :(
    Thanks so much!
    Lauren

2. wildwolf220

wildwolf220 Oracle of Doom

:wave Lauren and welcome to MG's.

start a new thread HERE in the software forum.

you should get the advice you need in there.

good luck...

3. Lollyde

Lollyde Private E-2

Thanks Wild Wolf! I appreciate the speedy reply! :)

4. wildwolf220

wildwolf220 Oracle of Doom

your welcome:)

5. richbere

richbere Private E-2

1st you have to make the harddrive a bootable disk, next you have to reboot from a win98 system disk reformat it again with this " format c: /s" this will transfer the system files to your hard drive and then it will be bootable. then reboot it and boot from the win98 startup dsk again and chose the option with cd support when done put the win 98 dsk in the cd drive and cd to your cd and type setup. this should work.
    richbere

6. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds