Hello I'm new and a question...

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by shawneeoboy, Mar 31, 2008.

1. shawneeoboy

shawneeoboy Private E-2

Hi, I'm BRAND new, shawneeoboy, or maybe I should be shawneeohboy, owell, or ohwell, hello! This is a very cool and wonderful looking site! I'm surprised I never saw it before. I'm not a total PC moron, but I'm not a geek, fershur, although I aspire to PC geekdom, some day. (ewww, Dr. Phil just came on TV!!!:( )

I turned on my PC (win xp, sp2, Dell, mozilla/firefox browser) and the stupid stuff that always opens when I first boot up came up, and a really dumb audio file started playing, of some teen who had been caught urinating in public orsomething. I quickly closed all the windows on the desktop, and it kept going! I looked at all the quickstart or whatever the little icons are in the tray at the bottom, nothing. I then brought up the task mgr. and it showed nothing going on! The awful audio thing was still playing! It played for a couple minutes, and then stopped, thank God!!!

I don't want this to happen again! How did this happen and how can I stop it, especially when it's already started and I can't find any visible clue to what's playing?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2008
  2. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Hi, and welcome.:)

To me, it sounds like some type of malware got on your computer. In that case, you should follow all the instructions in the Read and Run Me First Thread and then post your logs in a new thread in the Malware Forum.

One thing you may want to check out first though is see if there are any programs in your Add/Remove folder that look odd.

3. Katahdin11

Katahdin11 Private E-2

Also seems that i've run into some older - non updated posts like this one:
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=25834

but when I tried to post to this thread to inform chaslang:
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?p=1131206 -
    I get the following message !!

Katahdin11, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

I only got a welcome email after I registered, is there a way to resend a verification email? TIA

4. LauraR

The only way to post in Malware is to start a new thread with your own issue.

As far as an updated thread on protecting yourself, you should go to this thread: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=44525

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking about a verification email.

You can subscribe to individual threads by using the thread tool button I referenced earlier and making sure you choose the option to send email notification immediately.

5. Katahdin11

Katahdin11 Private E-2

What I was attempting to do was reference the fact that this link (sticky) : http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=25834 -- seems to be an older , non updated version.. to the link you and others reference as below:
    Am I missing something? Just trying to inform someone - it was a bit confusing..

Sorry I was referring to disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation. - I thought that I needed some sort of verification email, requesting a response to activate account - which other forums do. I didnt realize the restriction on posting in that forum

Thanks you.

6. LauraR

7. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

and Welcome to Major Geeks :)

It is always difficult to familiarize yourself with new web sites ;) we all have to start somewhere :)

G

8. shawneeoboy

shawneeoboy Private E-2

Hi foks! Thanks for your welcomes, and some advice from Laura. It seems that someone else who was brand new got their thread mixed in with mine, so I was really confused! I said, I don't get this, I'm leaving! But that's just me! Then I understood that the first post is at the bottom, and they progress to the top of the page, and that made a diff. You all are very welcoming and ready to help, that's great.

I did delete quite a few programs that I didn't need, in "add/remove..." I don't know if any were why that audio thing was able to play when I turned on this AM. I haven't done the malware yet, but I will. I suppose that now I've said "hello" I should post further tech questions in another topic or thread. I don't know if it's malware. I guess I should try that first.

This was like, have you ever had something like Pandora or any music site, up, and when you close the site, even if you sign out, the audio keeps playing? And there's no window or icon anywhere that you can control it with? This voice audio thing was playing on my PC with no control possible that I could find. Yes, I'm just repeating the original question. I just wondered if anyone has had this happen. I will try to find the right place to post any further questioins.

Just wanted to say Thanks and um... thanks!

shawneeoboy
    [/SIZE][/SIZE]

9. LauraR

Hi shawneeoboy

Yeah, the other poster started posting in this thread. It kind of does lead to confusion. Sorry about that.

If you want threads to read oldest to newest, just go into your User CP at the top-> Edit Options ->Scroll down to Thread Display Options -> Thread Display Mode -> Choose Linear-oldest first

Good luck with your questions. :)

10. wildwolf220

wildwolf220 Oracle of Doom

:wave shawn and welcome to MG's..

11. Capucina

Capucina Private E-2

Welcome to forums!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds