How//Where do you ask a simple question?

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by CarolinaCrawdad, Aug 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CarolinaCrawdad

CarolinaCrawdad Private E-2

I had a thread closed this morning. I would like to know why and/or what I did wrong. I am new to this site and would like to be a good member. Problem is, I don't know why the thread was closed and can't ask the Admin since I cannot PM (not enough posts to PM). How and where can you ask an Admin a basic question about the site???

2. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

I'm not an admin but the answer is easy. Demonoid is a pirating site and therefore illegal. ;)

3. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

I'm not exactly sure why it was closed, either.
    I did PM that admin to find out why.
    I will let you know once I get a reply.

One reason may be that there are warez at that place, although there are many downloads (of things like photos, games, and other types of downloads) not available here, that are legal.

4. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

ditto

There is a lot of copyrighted material on the site.

5. dnnyo

dnnyo Private First Class

now you got my curiosity going... what were you asking?
    can you ask again without including any possible links to a virus, etcrolleyes. (no offense intended)

6. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

Asking for an invite to Demonoid (a pirate site) is heavily frowned on by our moderators as this site does not cater to pirating of software.

please don't be put off posting (anything leagal) you will be welcomed into the forum

[​IMG]

7. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

If the post got removed once, dont ask for a person to post it again, at all.

8. CarolinaCrawdad

CarolinaCrawdad Private E-2

Hey thanks folks for the input. I'm not trying to cause any controversy, just would like to know what I did wrong. Granted, Demonoid does host a lot of illegal stuff, but not everything is.

Again, I like this site and want to be an asset. Would like to hear from the admin to get it from "the horse's mouth".:)

Thanks again.

9. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Take my word for this,
    admin will not approve a demonoid invitation request.

10. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Despite what has already been mentioned, I sent you a reply via my Spaces message you left. It offers pirated material and no matter how good their intentions are, we don't take the bad with the good.

Ever.

I think that concludes this thread.

A copy of the forum rules for those who may not have read them, or forgot.

Forum Rules

Although the administrators and moderators of MajorGeeks Support Forums will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of MajorGeeks Support Forums, nor Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message.

The following are rules we ask you to abide by:
    • No Hacking - This should go without saying, but you are not permitted to hack the board. Guessing someone else's password and succeeding counts as hacking. Members who hack will instantly be permanently banned without any warnings.
    • No Discrimination - You may not insult members based on their religion, race, sex, political beliefs, or whether they are gay or straight. This is worse than flaming, because it also hurts other members of the board who fall into the catagory you insult. Majorgeeks is a place where everyone is equal, and discrimination will NOT be tolerated!
    • No Bullying - Do not pick on other members. The worst kind of bullying is where new members are picked on. This hurts the member as well as the board.
    • No Flaming - Flaming harms the nice atmosphere of Majorgeeks. It also causes thread's to go off topic, and most importantly, it hurts the person being flamed. The victim may defend themselves against any accusations made to them, but may not make any additional accusations to the flamer (which also counts as flaming).
    • No Profanity or Obscene Content - Such content does not belong on Majorgeeks. A censor system is in place as a backup. If you see words in your post being replaced with ****, you have done something wrong. Please edit your post and tone it down before your timer runs out. To edit a post, click the "Edit" button right below it. Cheating the censor system is against the rules.
    • No Advertising - You are not permitted to make money using Majorgeek. You are not allowed to use the member list to obtain Instant Messenging screennames to harrass people to purchase a product from you.
    • No Illegal Activity - You are not allowed to break the law using Majorgeeks. This can get Majorgeeks into legal trouble. Posting links to roms is illegal, so this counts as a violation of this rule.
    • No Double Posting or Spamming - You may not post more than once in a row in the same thread. Posting lots of times in a row reduces the quality of the board, is a waste of the board's memory, and provides the culprit with ill earned post count points. Double posts will be merged into regular posts, and you will lose 10 postcount for each of the posts excluding the first one. Your post count can be changed to a negative number if necessary. The only exeption to this rule is if your edit timer (5 minutes) for the post has run out, in which case you may double post if you have something important to add. Spamming is also not allowed, and is defined as a post that has no meaning.
    • No Topic Bumping - If a topic you created has no replies, you may not post again in it (although you may edit the post if the timer has not run out). If you made the thread because you need help with something, you may post again as long as you include additional information about your problem (the fact that you really really want it fixed does not count as additional information). You must post this in the same thread, and you are not allowed to create more than one thread per topic.
    • No Posting Personal Info - You may not post your last name, or your street address on Majorgeeks. This is because this information then becomes accessible to anyone.
    • No Threatening to Leave the Board - Due to past experiences on the board, I had to add this rule. You may not make posts threatening to leave the board. Because of what a problem this is, I cannot issue a warning for violations.
    Anyone responding poorly to these Rules will also be muted.

The owners of MajorGeeks Support Forums reserve the rights to:
    • Remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason, at any time.
    • Remove, edit, ban deny or limit access of any user account for any reason at any time.
    • The private message system should not be considered personal or private. MajorGeeks.Com reserves the right to review private messages for any reason at any time.
    • Once your account is registered, it will not be deleted by request, unless the owners agree to do so. All new accounts should be considered permanent.
    • Content of the message board should be considered copyright MajorGeeks.com unless otherwise specified.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds