Help finding the right audio driver

Discussion in 'Software' started by techno-deficient, Jan 17, 2009.

1. techno-deficient

techno-deficient Private E-2

Hello, I hope I'm in the right place!

I've lost my audio. This happened after an update from MS Office 2003 to Office 2007. A "found new hardware" wizard popped up the next day, and I later found out that it was for the "multimedia audio controller" for which it can't find a driver. I went to Dell and couldn't figure out what driver I need (and I'm afraid of all the warnings that tell me I'm going to destroy my computer if I don't know what I'm doing!)

Here's what I know: Dell Dimension 4600; Windows XP Home, SP2; I ran Everest and it says "multimedia audio controller" UNKOWN. Can I get some help finding out which driver I need to find?

Thank you!

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

The Dell web site shows that your sound card/chip could either be a Creative sound card or (more likely) an on-board ADI sound chip. If you plug your speakers in to a port in the same panel as the keyboard and mouse, then you have on-board audio, and you would install this driver. If this doesn't work, let us know and we'll try a different route....
    :-D

3. techno-deficient

techno-deficient Private E-2

:celebrateYaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so happy!! Thank you so much!

BTW, did I tell you it worked??!

Thank you, thank you.:wave

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

:highfive Glad I could help! :-D

[dlb]

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds