Just a BIG hello

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by grumps100, Feb 8, 2009.

1. grumps100

grumps100 Private E-2

Hi,

I have been surfing in and out of Major Geeks for many a year, I've learned a lot, as a reliable resource it can't be bettered.

It's been a VERY long time since I have felt the need to post, but as the more battle hardy of you may guess, I have got my PC in a hell of a pickle. I know that there are many ways that you can offer help and that many of you are willing and able.

I won't go into too much detail in this initial post, but I need big time help. I also realise that my PC prob may have been covered in manys a thread. I know my limited knowledge would benefit from individual tuiton. I am not able to be at my PC at times when it would suit most advisors.

So if any of you good people would be kind enough to take me by the hand and work me through this issue it would be greatly appreciated.

TIA
    Grumps100

2. wildwolf220

wildwolf220 Oracle of Doom

:wave and welcome to MG's..
    Just start a new thread in the appropriate forum for your problem.
    Software/Hardware/Malware/Drivers.
    Try to give as much information about the problem you are having in your post.

Good luck.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi and Welcome

Just aim your longer post on your issue into the right forum area for its question (software, hardware etc) and give as much detail as possible, any error messages gained, what Windows version and what was added new to the PC etc

Then one of us should be able to help if we know what the issue is, then dont worry about time, we can go as quick or as slow as you need, will always be someone online that can pickup if another helper is offline.

SNAP: WildWolf :)

4. grumps100

grumps100 Private E-2

I have been working at this problem for nearly two weeks, on and off. I have had unexpected shutdowns, Virus scan will not run...It's relentless!

I run Win XP Pro Service pack 3, ASUS motherboard. I thought that the hard drive was about to die so I backed all up to an external HD, realoaded Windows & still the shut downs. I have run all of my Anti-Virus, Anti-Spyware and anything that I can think of. All of which shutdown the pc, unless it's offline!

It's driving me nuts!

Please help,
    Grumps100

5. grumps100

grumps100 Private E-2

Hello Wildwolf,

the thing is I have no idea which of the above is causing this. Nor do I know how to find out. I've been stumbling around so long, I reloaded windows & things got more bizarre. The AV finished it's scan without a shutdown, then BOOM back to works/works not!

I thought I may have fried the HD, but I have scanned whth CMD & all semed fine. I'm stumped

Grumps100

6. wildwolf220

Did you do a clean install of your OS?
    If you did its unlikely to be malware related.
    Try posting in the Hardware forum
    The guys in there will be able to advise you further.

7. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

If you post your symptoms in Malware
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35
    give as much info as you can about your system OS RAM and so on with as much as you can tell us about your problem.
    Then just have a little patience (it's weekend) some one will come to your aid.
    If you don't get an answer immediately do not post again in the same thread (bumping) because that will automatically put you back at the bottom of the list.

Good luck

8. grumps100

grumps100 Private E-2

Halo,

I can't work out wether it's software, malware or what. I added new RAM about 5 months ago and all worked well. So I have no idea which forum to post to, and I don't think I could cope with some of the Techs. I've heard about Hijack this, but I am wary of using it, I don't have the Tech savvy.

I'm working from my laptop at the now, the main PC, well that's still running it's scans, with no shutdowns. All scans, so far show clean. I am bewildered.

Regards
    Grumps100

9. wildwolf220

As i said earlier if you reloaded your OS from your discs its unlikely to be malware.
    Start of in the hardware forum and go from there.
    If it turns out not to be a hardware problem, the guys in there will advise you where to post next.

10. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Welcome, don't worry where you post just your best guess needed. The mods will move it if necessary, LOL you won't get banned for that.;) Since you reloaded XP then hardware it is.:) Type the main symptom in the title and good luck.

EDIT: Oops, sorry wolfie. :D

11. grumps100

grumps100 Private E-2

100% with you on you P.S.

I can't see how it may be a hardware prob, but then I'm no expert. All I know is that there has been no hardware since before the AV/Malware prog shutdowns. I get that that would lead you to conclude that it is a my software issue. I did not do a full reformat, I kept all of programmes and settings, just reloaded XP over.

I do not know how to do a FULL reformat i.e. scrub the drive EtAl. But I think that's what is required.

12. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Aah, so you did a repair install then, that clears things up. You will have to reinstall all your XP updates again. So software/malwarwe it is then. Follow the bouncing ball.:-D

13. grumps100

grumps100 Private E-2

Hiii

34 schneking updates.

14. grumps100

grumps100 Private E-2

34 updates

And I know that some of MS updates were a bit ropey, been there. but the shutdowns?

15. grumps100

grumps100 Private E-2

wolfie

The quick reply is in the title then?

MY COMPUTER IS ****ED

Do you think that would do?

16. wildwolf220

As this is just the welcome center, the members that can help you wont see this thread. you should start a new thread in one of the other forums as has already been advised.

17. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

welcome to majorgeeks :wave

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds