Hello. Let me introduce myself ........

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by miso, Apr 24, 2009.

1. miso

miso Private E-2

Hello, I'm miso & I'm most definitely not a budding major geek! In fact I'm about as minor a geek as you're likely to get here .... I have a really, really old computer (with an external modem, even), on dial-up still & dreaming of being able to afford broadband "one day soon" .... You get the picture. It's pretty tragic, really ....

I'm here to ask for help with a recent development. My computer has become incredibly slow & try as I may, I just can't find the source of the problem.:confused. I've tried my local tech help, talked endlessly with my ISP telephone helpline ..... and basically I'm stuck.

If someone would be kind enough to direct me to the appropriate forum here, to discuss my problem in greater depth, I'd be very grateful. And as I'm not too brilliant with computer terminology, I'm hoping you're a patient lot!

Anyway, nice to meet you all!

2. wildwolf220

wildwolf220 Oracle of Doom

:wave and welcome to MG's..
    I think your bet bet to start off would be the Software Forum

Good luck:)

3. miso

miso Private E-2

Thanks, WildWolf, will do.

4. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

Welcome miso.
    We have all had to start learning at some time and some are faster than others.
    Here you can ask about a problem and no one will laugh or criticise (the only stupid question is the one you don't ask) that is how we learn.

As for your slow PC here is a guide to how to speed things up.

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=106650

5. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

a warm welcome to the forums :wave

6. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Welcome to the ranks of Major Geeks.:wave
    There MAY be a few here that are of slightly questionable character( cut-ups ) you might watch out for. You'll know them when you meet them.:-D

7. joey off the street

joey off the street Lounge Lizard No.1

Welcome to MajorGeeks, miso. I too have a quite old PC, but it is really faithful. Old isn't necessarily a bad thing. If anyone can speed you up, this lot can.
    @ hrlow. Yeah, you're not wrong, man. There's quite a few miso might like to avoid.....:)

8. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Not really avoid,joey. Just step lightly so they don't wake up.:-D

9. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

too late.. I'm awake :p

10. bigtrucks

bigtrucks MajorGeek

I've been lurking in the background so watch it:neener

Welcome To the best forum around miso:wave I do believe you'll like it here.

11. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

There you go, miso. A couple have already put in an appearance.

12. joey off the street

[​IMG]

Oh, no. Please.....I thought we'd got away with just the one disruptive influence showing up. :neener

13. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Just gave it away.:-D
    I never mentioned any names.( guilt complex showing ).rolleyes

14. dr.moriarty

dr.moriarty Malware Super Sleuth Staff Member

:innocent

Welcome, misco!

15. bigtrucks

bigtrucks MajorGeek

You know i am really busy so remind me later to laugh....aaawww the hick with it roflmaoroflmaoroflmaoroflmaoroflmao
    There I'm over it now.:p

16. joey off the street

Yep, they're all coming. Like flies round :crap

17. bigtrucks

bigtrucks MajorGeek

Yep you are..... being swarmed aren't youroflmaoroflmaoroflmaoroflmaoroflmao

18. miso

miso Private E-2

Thank you for your very warm & "interesting" welcomes! You're certainly a lively bunch, aren't you? :)

I will post my (slow computer problem) description later on (on the SOFTWARE forum, yes?) I want to explain the difficulties I've been experiencing as clearly as possible .... avoiding terms like the "what's-it in the right hand corner", or "the two little flashing tvs at the bottom of the screen" ;).... Just kidding, but I don't want to drive you people crazy trying to figure out what exactly I'm talking about. (Which has happened before, I confess, so ... later, when I have more time, OK?)

Just one quick question, though. My ISP tech help service (over the phone)has suggested that one of the things I should be checking is my (ancient 56 K) external modem & suggesting that I might invest in a new one. Almost did that yesterday, but really, I have no way of knowing if that is actually the problem (or one of them!) & it seemed silly to spend the money on a new one when it might not make any difference. If my modem is a problem, what sorts of performance problems would I be experiencing online? (Remember, I'm on dial-up.) Is there a link I can access here & do a bit of checking for myself?

Thanks again,
    miso

19. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Seriously, how long has the phone lines been run? Both outside to the house and the lines in the house? Old lines can indeed cause a major slowdown.
    High winds and storms can play havoc with dial-up services also.

20. miso

miso Private E-2

The lines could be a contrbuting factor, hrlow, I really couldn't say for certain.
    But these problems I've been experiencing are fairly recent ones. Since having to have all my existing software removed & reinstalled. (Long story!) Dial-up is considerably slower than broadband, I know, but these recent problems are causing havoc (!) with my computer speeds online.

21. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Problems with dial-up can be instant. Perfect one minute, crap the next.
    Loose wire suddenly shifts and breaks connection, corroded wire, varmints nibbling on the line.
    All may not be extreme, but on dial-up, it can seem like it.
    I was on dial-up for a year before going to cable. I know how that stuff can mess with you.

22. miso

miso Private E-2

Yes, I think I may be taking the broadband option sooner than I thought ....

23. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Good move.
    Glad we didn't scare you off. Some of us, myself included at times, like to clown around some. Especially for the newbies. Sort of an initiation under fire.
    Just to see if they can take it.

24. miso

miso Private E-2

I'm not that easily scared, hrlow. Besides, compared to what's going on with my computer right now, my reception here has been a piece of cake!;)

(Would you believe the email link to the last update I received here wouldn't work? I had to get here this time via a Google search. Perhaps my computer is actually in it's final death throes? :cry)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds