Editing old posts

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by badnad, May 7, 2007.

1. badnad

badnad Private E-2

Wasn't sure where to put this post - so I put it here.

I've just been made aware that I am leaving a trail of myself over the internet - so want I want to do is edit posts where I have mentioned my name.

Since the posts I have left in this forum are old - has the editing facility been disabled on these? Any way to get around it?

Thanks for your help.

2. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

There's a time limit of 10 minutes, I believe, to edit posts, so the only way would be to get a mod or admin to do this for you. Hope that helps.

3. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

Given the backup techniques most IT depts practice there ought to be a saying...

The internet never forgets.

I can't speak for the forums here, but given the occasional arguements that break out between people the lack of ability to change the record is a good thing, one I wish we could hold polititions too.

Back when 1 Meg cost over a $1 data was routinely distroyed, now that 1Gig is under a $1 it is easier to keep it, who knows what might happen if you loose it?

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

The editing options are time limited, we added this timelimit to stop some folk from coming back and editing their posts to change tech info, especially when they rush in get it wrong, then would edit posts to cover up the mistakes and worst make the ones following with correct answers look like copying fools.

but I have searched your old posts and have edited or in the case of one remove the whole thread as it had served it purpose.

5. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

Cool!

I'm so used to opening mouth and inserting foot I don't bother to hide it. I just keep the chewing to a minimum.

6. badnad

badnad Private E-2

Thank-you very much Halo for your help with this.

It is much appreciated.

7. DavidGP

My pleasure :)

8. Wayne82

Wayne82 Sergeant Major

9. lithium

lithium Private E-2

I'm new here and wanted to revise a post I made about a company I work with for clarification. Would it be possible to edit/delete that post? Thank you for your help!

10. joey off the street

joey off the street Lounge Lizard No.1

Welcome to MGs, badnad and lithium[​IMG]
    Before submitting your post and making it permanent, you could always preview your post by clicking the 'Preview Post' button next to the 'Submit Reply' button. This allows you to see how your post would look when submitted and has an unlimited amount of time to edit your text/graphics as required. Works for me. After you submit your reply, you then have a further ten minutes to work on it if need be.
    Hope this can be of use to you. It helps me out a lot.
    See you both around, I hope.

EDIT: Don't know why I wrote that. It's not what you enquired about, is it? That's me all over, skimming and not reading posts properly. Oh, well, too late, it's submitted now. How do I delete crap posts before the ten minutes run out?

Last edited: May 9, 2009
  11. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

badnad joined 3 years ago LOL
    @lithium

You cannot edit a post once the timer has run out after ten minutes.. however you can simply make another post and add extra info etc.. if there is information in there that really needs taking out then you can always request that a mod edit for you

12. lithium

lithium Private E-2

Thank you for your replies! However, I can't PM moderators because I have 50 or under posts. Is there another way to get in touch with them about this (excluding posting what needs to be edited in this thread)?

13. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

Yes, tell me which parts you want snipped and i'll get a mod on it for ya

14. joey off the street

joey off the street Lounge Lizard No.1

15. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

timw at majorgeeks,com

16. DavidGP

HI lithium

To be honest, I would just post an edit after the original post and if you need something personal identifiable removed then mention this and likely one of the mods or admins will see this and edit accordingly, but if its just an addendum to the original post then post new reply as its fine that way.

I tend to do this as at times I may just forget an option and it sparks into my head so I just add a new post with an [EDIT] then comment.

Do pleas read my comment from 2007 above in post #4 as it still stands true today and why we limited the edit timer.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds