Hello from a big ol' newbie....this is probably a dumb question

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by apollo1214, Jul 23, 2009.

1. apollo1214

apollo1214 Private E-2

I am really new to pretty much all of this. Although I use a computer everyday, and know the most about them out of my family and most of my friends (sad I know). I don’t get any of your lingo and cool terms that I wish would magically make sence in my head. So a big thank you all for this great wealth of information and perfect learning tool. I can literally sit for hours reading post in awe of everything I don’t know. But one thing I cant figure out is why in the world would you want to restore quarantined items that spyware picks up? Is it bad that I just automatically delete it all? They are viruses after all aren't they? :confused Thank you all for you great support and friendly attitudes!

Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
  2. joey off the street

joey off the street Lounge Lizard No.1

Hello, apollo. Welcome to MGs, the best thing since Guinness Draught went into a tin. Yeah, I do exactly the same thing. Remove those pests. I've pondered this question myself. Never thought to ask, though. Nice one, dude(tte?) ;) Answers, please.....

3. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

Welcome to MG, apollo1214 :wave Glad you could join us ;) why not join in on a conversation in one of the threads? You can post in most any, except the malware... that one is restricted.. rolleyes

Check out the lounge, and see what strikes your fancy, and I'll bet someone will answer your question ;)

4. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Welcome to Major Geeks.
    Sometimes your AntiMalware programs will red-flag and quarantine something based on what it sees. But not everything needs to be removed.
    It may remove some cookies that it considers to be spyware but are actually needed to access a site that you frequent.Then next time you go there,you pick up another cookie.Next scan, that one gets removed.Endless cycle that is easily remedied simply by restoring the original and telling the AntiMalware program to ignore it.

5. joey off the street

joey off the street Lounge Lizard No.1

Right. Got that answer to a not so dumb question from apollo. Thanks, H.

6. rustyjack

rustyjack MajorGeek

Hello Apollo a happy welcome to the forums of MG's ask as many silly questions as you like you'll always get an answer from someone here, if you have really dumb questions to ask, they get forwarded to either Joey or Me ! :-D

7. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Silly ??? usually get silly answers. But they do get answered.

8. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

a warm welcome to the forums :)

9. ShelaghRoyale

ShelaghRoyale Sergeant

Thanks to Apollo <--- smart person :cool .... yup... I am glad Apollo joined the forum... yup :clap

Welcome :wave

Shelagh

10. wildwolf220

wildwolf220 Oracle of Doom

:wave and welcome to MG's..

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds