strange attachement to an email I sent out

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by simplynaturalfx, Apr 28, 2010.

1. simplynaturalfx

simplynaturalfx Private E-2

Hello, I'm new to the forums, I heard this is the place to find the answers to questions others can't handle.
    I just got an email from an old friend, and it had an link to it that he said came from me.
    It had been a while since I emailed him and couldn't recall what I had sent.
    This is the link:
    h**p:/rapidshare.com/files/381137829/codec_19200.exe
    I tried to open it, not thinking it thru of course. I canceled the download before it got started by the taskmaster.
    When I went back to my inbox I had a number of returned messages from people I had not emailed.
    Is this a trojan, a virus or what?
    I'm sure it got into my email addresses, but I only use yahoo mail.
    what should I do now, has anyone else experienced this before?
    Will it destroy my computer?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2010
  2. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

Welcome to MG, simplynaturalfx, it is hard to tell, but I would suggest you do the READ & RUN ME FIRST and then post your logs HERE just to be sure. It is possible, that you could have something, but here you can get the help you need, and make sure your system is clean. The sooner you start, the sooner you will get in the Que. Best of Luck to you.;)

3. silas

silas MajorGeek

edit- Plus 1 on teecee advice!

4. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

Sounds like your friend had a virus, used to be called Klez, not certain what it is now. It's a worm that propagates through email.
    Now you have.
    Oh, and welcome to MG!! :wave:wave

5. simplynaturalfx

simplynaturalfx Private E-2

Ok, read thru the read first post, but I can't get MG tools to download. It started and then AVG thought it was a trojan and killed it. Now I can't get it to download again even after I disabled AVG.
    I already ran scans with malware bytes, superantispy, avg, lavasoft, advanced system care. They found very little, but I did this before I got the email from the forum.
    How do I get Mg tools to download?
    I have downloaded all the other tools requested in the read first post.

6. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

Hello, I cannot answer that, but just post what you have, HERE One of the Malware Fighters will help you get it straighened out there ;)

7. silas

silas MajorGeek

You need to make you disable all programs you are running like AVG, then do the scan. Many times software you are running can stop others from working properly. Another thing you need to get MGtools to save to C: folder not the desktop.. Just save it to C: . Another thing do all the scans and post the proper logs in the malware section of forums here. Even if a log shows nothing was found.. Still post it. IF after you try all this and MGtools does not run just make a thread anyways in malware section and just post logs you do have and tell them what happen when MGtools couldnt be saved.

8. smithshn

smithshn Private E-2

"Virus along with mail"

I have show your link that link is a along with some exe file which is execute a program which may be related with virus which can harm your computer.
    Therefore, one advise that do not click on any type of link.

9. abz1nthe

abz1nthe Command Sergeant Major

I would actually censor the link so some other poor soul doesn't click it out of curiosity.

10. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

It has been disabled (would need someone to delete the first http:// and then enter tt back to second http and if they did that knowing the edit then... well,) since the 29/04 as per my edit, didnt know if it was needed to be checked out so edited over deleting.

11. abz1nthe

abz1nthe Command Sergeant Major

ahh good deal :) That was my first thought when I read that and saw the link lol

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds