Can move cursor but it does not select

Discussion in 'Software' started by talking777, Jun 17, 2010.

1. talking777

talking777 Private E-2

My Computer is: Dell Dimension 4600i Desktop 32 bit Windows XP SP3 (Home Edition) 2.5 GB Ram 70 GB HD drive 3.00 Ghz Pentium

I have a computer problem that I thought was caused by malware. After following the malware guide (Read & Run Me First) and getting a tremendous amount of help in the Malware Removal forum, I still have the problem and was told to try the Software or Hardware forum.

The problem is: I can move the cursor with the mouse, but there are times (more often than not) that I cannot select anything with mouse until the screen goes black for a second or two. Then the cursor/ mouse works fine. Also during the problem time if I am typing, what I am typing will not show up on the screen until the screen goes black for a second or two.

I can cause the screen to go black for a second or 2 and resolve the problem temporarily by (1) clicking/ selecting another screen (e.g. Internet Explorer, Word,...) and clicking/ selecting the original screen; or (2) clicking/ tapping the left mouse button, the right mouse button, and then the mouse/ scroll wheel.

Any suggestions how I can resolve this problem permanently?

Any help is much appreciated...

2. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

Apparently, they believe that this is not caused by malware.

Have you installed any new software lately?
    If so, try uninstalling it and see if that fixes the problem.

I'm really not the one to be advising you about this,
    but it sounds like it could be a display driver issue.

Find out if there is an updated version of the display driver for your graphics
    card (or GPU if you have onboard graphics). If there is, uninstall the old driver
    and install the new one. My advice: do not get a diver update from
    Microsoft. I did that once from Microsoft Update and my display did not work at all!! Get the appropriate driver from the hardware manufacturer.

If your problem is due to a hardware/driver issue,
    then maybe you should post something in the Hardware Forum.

At least this gives you some ideas about where to begin.
    Good Luck.

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

How?

4. talking777

talking777 Private E-2

First off, thank you very much for your replies.

mjnc - I have had this problem for 2+ years, and the only software I've installed recently have to do with malware removal.

This has nothing to do with the cursor problem, but I wish I could go back to IE 7. I've had IE 8 so long that I cannot revert back without downloading it.

You mentioned updating drivers. When I look at downloading Advanced SystemCare Free from this site, it has a TIP to UPDATE ALL PC DRIVERS. I believe it is software that will do it for me. Do you think this would be a good way to update the drivers you mentioned? Would these drivers be coming from Microsoft?

This is something I would like to do sometime later... because I only have one computer, and I really need to use it (for more that surfing the net). If it goes down , it would cost TIME and money( buying off ebay or amazon and the shipping time) which would cost me Time (and money) I don't want to give up at this time.

Thank you for the tip. I'll definitely have to do it.

plodr - by (1) clicking/ selecting another screen (e.g. Internet Explorer, Word,...) and then clicking/ selecting the original screen; or (2) clicking/ tapping the left mouse button, the right mouse button, and then the mouse/ scroll wheel.

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

So when you select a different program (I assume by clicking on the entry down on the taskbar) and then switch back to the original program, the secreen goes black?
    Have you tried a different mouse?
    What mouse are you using (brand and model) and have you installed any special software for it? There might be a newer driver or a more up to date version of software. Sometimes software can conflict with something else that has been installed.

6. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

I completely agree. You should be cautious. Installing the wrong driver or doing it improperly could cause significant problems.

The TIP that you refer to is a link to software called DriverScanner by Uniblue.
    I can not comment on the safety or effectiveness of this software.
    IMO, verification of that should come from either a majorgeeks administrator,
    support forum moderator or an experienced (with that software) user.

Sorry, my comment was incomplete and misleading.
    The driver(s) I was referring to are not actually produced by Microsoft.
    They are offered through the Microsoft Update service as 'Optional'
    hardware updates and are based on the scan of your system when the update service is initiated.
    The driver presented for my computer was from nVidia.
    When installed, the driver did not work properly.

The drivers that I think may be suspect are your graphics display driver or possibly the mouse driver.
    You may refer to this Driver Guide for Windows for info on updateing those drivers.
    Tweaking Companion is a resource that I have found helpful.
    The "Regular Edition" is a free download. This is a PDF file.

Your problem could also be due to system configuration.
    Here's one suggestion.
    Go to Control Panel and open the Display selection.
    click the Settings tab.
    click the Advanced button.
    click the Monitor tab.
    make sure that the monitor shown under 'Monitor Type' matches your monitor.
    under 'Monitor settings' turn ON the check box that says
    'Hide modes that this monitor can not display'
    then make sure the 'Screen refresh rate' is appropriate for your monitor.
    Check the documentation that came with your computer / monitor for the appropriate setting.

The Tweaking Companion can also help you with system configuration.

Hope this helps.
    I am not a technician, so I'm only guessing!

7. talking777

talking777 Private E-2

Thank you for all your replies! It may be awhile before I implement some of your suggestions due to life... but I definitely appreciate all your help.

plodr - Yes, you are correct. I select a different screen/program by clicking on the entry down on the taskbar, and then go back and select the original screen/program I was using.
    No, I have not tried another mouse. The mouse I am using is a Dell cordless mouse that came with the desktop.

Thank you (all of you) again for all your help. It may be awhile before I get to this.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds