New author, new to the site and forums...

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by FoolishTech, May 11, 2011.

1. FoolishTech

FoolishTech Private E-2

Hi,

I'm an experienced (not necessarily good) PC technician and a new author that recently released my slightly buggy but hopefully useful tool, D7 (a tool designed BY and FOR PC technicians) to the general public. Majorgeeks was good enough to host my tool, so I thought I would register here in the forums to introduce myself and say hello to everyone.

HELLO ALL!

If I can be of any assistance to anyone, please contact me via email (best response) or PM.

Thanks!

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, FoolishTech, and welcome to MajorGeeks!

Saw your program listed the other day when it first came out - I think I'll give it a closer look now that I've got someone to blame if it breaks. ;)

Glad to have you here - make sure to hit the Support Forums and give us a hand, and visit the Lounge when you need to relax.

:major

3. FoolishTech

FoolishTech Private E-2

Thanks! I hope you like it (or at least, don't hate it.) ;)

BTW perhaps this is best asked in the Software forums, but while I'm here, if anyone knows of a great, free, hosted message board system - where I could have a hosted D7 support forum, please let me know! Thanks!

4. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Welcome aboard! An acquaintance of mine uses Google Groups and likes it. I'm quite surprised that you haven't taken advantage of that or other groups available elsewhere.:confused I'll check out your proggie as it's hiding in plain sight.;):-D

5. Caliban

Agreed - Google Groups is good.

So is phpBB. ;)

6. augiedoggie

Also agreed on phpBB but who wants to pay for the bandwidth and time spent to set that up on a home computer and keep it online 24/7? I sure wouldn't want to do that with a new product depending on it. A new user would probably never come back if the site went dark for whatever reason.

7. Caliban

Good points. You da man! ;)

8. augiedoggie

Well, thank you but I think you give me too much credit.;) I wish my bank was the same.:-D

9. FoolishTech

FoolishTech Private E-2

Thanks for the suggestions!

Yeah, I'm looking for someone else to host the message forum, rather than do it myself... I've seen the free proboards.com, bulletinboards.com, etc. but not sure of the ins and outs of the services and was hoping someone had some feedback.

I hadn't considered Google Groups but that's a great idea!!! Unfortunately I have some issue with my Google account - I cannot sign up for a new account because my email address already exists as a Google account - however if I try a password reset it states that no Google account exists with my email address. LOL Something I'm sure won't get resolved overnight, and I have yet to try to get help with it... I guess I could always create a new Google account with a similar email...

10. augiedoggie

That's strange as the site you have in your sig is Google Sites powered, now how is that possible? I'm starting to go 'Hmm'. :confused

11. FoolishTech

FoolishTech Private E-2

Well that's a story! I originally hosted the Foolish IT site on my own system with DotNetNuke, but some time ago I switched it to run off of a Google Apps account which I had setup for my own side business, Computer Guy IT Solutions - which I operate as a PC Technician *not* a guy giving away free software......

But with Google Groups, I wouldn't want my main Comp Guy email address as the main one for the support forums for Foolish IT applications. The problem with my foolishtech Google account, I think, initially stems from the time I tried to create a Google Apps account for Foolish IT, which was rejected (as the domain name contains profanity - according to Google's spam filters.) Something I've tried to recently rectify by acquiring www.foolishtech.com - however yet another roadblock in my Google Apps setup is GA doesn't recognize my MX records are setup properly - when they are - so far GA employees haven't responded to my pleas for help. My Google accounts are a cluster of confusion at the moment. :\

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds