Suspicious files in Task Manager - No user name, description

Discussion in 'Software' started by parrotmania, Aug 10, 2011.

1. parrotmania

parrotmania Private E-2

In Task Manager I have a few files that, when I right click, will not Open File Location. Each of these - below - list no user name nor description.

csrss.exe, rundll32.exe, winlogon.exe

I always have 2 rundll32.exe files running, but 1 file cannot be found, via Task Manager.

How do I get to these files?

I have Windows 7 Enterprise and an HP DV9700 laptop. I am very familiar with navigating XP, but new to W7.

Thanks!

2. Bugballou

Bugballou MajorGeek

3. thisisu

thisisu Malware Consultant

You can find all of these files in: c:\windows\system32

4. parrotmania

parrotmania Private E-2

The command line is blank, in Task Manager, for the mysterious rundll32.exe file. It has no info as to where it is located. The ONLY info is that it is a
    2,140 k sized file

If I knew where "Search" is in Windows7 I could type in rundll32 and find all related files? Search is easy to find on XP, but haven't located yet on W7.

5. thisisu

thisisu Malware Consultant

While on your desktop, you can press F3 to open Search.
    Or, from the start Menu:
    [​IMG]

What do you mean command line is blank?
    Try the below:

start > cmd >
    command prompt opens up
    type in:
    press enter

6. parrotmania

parrotmania Private E-2

Ok, I used the cmd prompt and it says there is only 1 file for rundll32. There are 2 files in Task Manager. My Task Manager says "Command Line" above all the file locations, like "C://ProgramFile...".

I have used that Search before, as you suggested, many times and it is useless. Apparently you can't just type in a file, like you can in XP, and it finds it.

I typed in rundll32.exe and rundll32, etc, and I get "No items match your search". So it doesn't bring up files. Either it isn't as direct as XP's Search and/or you cannot just type in a file and it brings up info. I cannot imagine what else what one would have to do to have it bring results?

7. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

There is only one rundll32.exe file but more than one instance of the program can run at once. This link has more info on the purpose of rundll32 and how to see what it is doing:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/what-is-rundll32exe-and-why-is-it-running/
    (It's for Vista but it sill applies to Windows 7 - I checked.)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds