CRT Question.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Spock96, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Spock96

Spock96 Major Geek 'Spocky'

Hey Guys,
    I got this CRT Monitor(and case) that is taking up room in my well in my room. I was going to put it in a big bag, seal it up and stick it in out in my barn(get it outta the way.) All we got in there would be a few cats and hay and that.(Sadly we lost our horse around Thanksgiving. :cry) Would that damage it at all? I'm going to seal it up as best I can. Am I all good?
    Thanks,
    Spock96

2. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

Yeah, maybe that, and wrap it up in bubble wrap and stick it in a cardboard box.
    Sorry you lost the horse, man. That would be tough.:(

3. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

I don't see why not, as long as there is no danger of flooding or water getting to it then it should be fine.
    Although if and when you do bring it back in to plug in you would want to bring it up to room temp if it's been cold out. If the monitor is very cold and you plug it in, it might have bad effects lol

4. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

I'd also add some of those moisture absorbing packets, if you have a Food Saver then get as much of the air out that you can, otherwise use a straw before sealing it up as best you can.

5. Shadowchaser

Shadowchaser A Really Great Guy

A STRAW Augie? REALLY?!? Spock use a vacuum cleaner dude, a straw would take forever and is WAYYYYY too much work to remove the air with. Of course if you really wish to do it right place it in a space saver type of bag that is designed to be used with a vacuum cleaner to remove the air, then wrap in bubble wrap, place into an industrial strength heavy duty cardboard box or even better yet a wooden crate.

Just one question though, why would you want to save an old CRT monitor for anyway? I'm still trying to get rid of all of mine and get all flat screens in my house. Big, bulky and just plain heavy makes CRT a royal pain to have. Takes up way too much real estate on my already crowded desk.

Jack

6. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Hehehe.:-o I was way too tired when I wrote that. I never use a vacumn cleaner so that never came into mind, good idea on the space saver bags.

7. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Yeah I'm of the same thought, why save it, yes they can be a good backup if a LED/LCD goes pop, but TBH its just going to be a box in the barn for years doing nothing but taking up space, personally I would try and sell it off and get a few $$s

8. Shadowchaser

LOL, just had a mind image of Augie bailing out a boat with a thimble. Would be ab out the same type of thing :-D. Kind of figured you didn't think that one through all of the way! Space saver bags are meant to provide you with a "vacuum seal" although they are notorious for not being completely air tight.

Of course the other thing you could do is hire NASA to launch it into space and keep it on the space station! Does the resident Starman still come around here?

Jack

9. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Not as much as he used too, from an email conversation over xmas he is very busy of late.

10. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

Heh!, heh! yeah, the local scavengers have a field day whenever there is a bulk rubbish collection in my area. Threw out about 7 CRT monitors, (some 21" ones, too - egads!) Plus all the printers, modems, P.C.'s scanners and other assorted junk.
    Used to donate them to charity, but now most of the fussy beggars don't even want them for free. Still, I guess I get 'carbon credits' every time I send the stuff to the recyclers. LOL

11. Shadowchaser

Why heck Barry, if you didn't live over the pond I would take any flat screens you wished to get rid of! As it is I think the shipping costs would make it cheaper to buy a used one here, now if I just weren't so cheap myself!

12. Spock96

Thanks guys,
    I kept it because I (well now) have 3 working desktops and only one LCD monitor that's mine. Also if I was going to be working on someones then I would need another one so I didn't take the LCD I would be using to get info.

13. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

I always keep a CRT around just in case. They are always recognized and display a picture whereas LCD are more iffy. Mine has sat in the attic for 2 years at a time and still worked so I don't think temperature should do any real damage although that isn't quite as cold as a barn. I'd wrap it best you can and throw a blanket over it and hope for the best.

If it were huge I might say get rid of it as it takes up too much space but a 17 inch or something I would keep as a spare.

14. Spock96

Thanks Sach2, I'll do that.

15. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I have 2 old CRT screens. Great for backup, or for working on a computer. I will keep one, the other has an appointment with a 1930 Soviet rifle. :-D Can hardly wait for deer season to be over with.

16. Bugballou

Bugballou MajorGeek

CRT (Cathode Ray Tube) monitors are harder on the eyes, no? :cool Although if the flat screen is using an analog signal I prefer the picture on a CRT, but might have to start using a screensaver again. They go for 5 to 10 dollars in the thrift stores in these parts, and are best recycled if at all possible.

17. Spock96

Thank you very much for the reply. :)
    I was asking about storing it. I'd rather not get rid of it just yet, just need to get it outta my room. ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds