How to configure wi-fi in Linux mint, 32bit?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Wrenchman, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Wrenchman

Wrenchman Private First Class

Hi, I'm new to Linux so bare with me, here we go.

Since I have win 7 64bit installed, I thought that it would be correct to
    use Linux 64bit too, wrong!!!

The DOS works only with 32bit(BIOS f.34), so I downloaded the
    Linux Mint 12 KDE 32bit, and this one works like a charm.

The problem is, and here is my question,

How do I configure wi-fi in Linux?

It asks for some information like a MAC address and some other stuff, of which I have little or no clue.

But this MAC address really confuses me because it seems like there are many kinds:

HFC MAC ID

MTA MAC ID

Router MAC ID

Thanks,

:)

Wrenchman

2. DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay Private E-2

3. Wrenchman

I'll have a look at it, and then return with the outcome.

Thanks,

Wrenchman

4. DragonMaster Jay

Okay. Look forward to your result(s).

5. Wrenchman

Hi, I'm back for a quick question:

I have 130,06 GB of non allocated disk space on the WIN C: drive, which I did in the
    Disk Management BTW.

Should I format that in NTFS or FAT32, what do you recommend ?

PS. I have decided to install first, since I have a LINK cable!

My HP Officejet J4660 All-in-One runs on linux mint 12 KDE, and I didn't even install
    the driver CD.

Thanks,

Wrenchman

6. DragonMaster Jay

NTFS for the win!

7. Wrenchman

Sorry, didn't get that, it is not for windows, it is for Linux

Seems like there are other systems that are good for Linux besides NTFS and FAT32

btrfs, ext2, ext3, ext4, fat16, fat32, hfs, hfs+, jfs, linux-swap, ntfs, reiserfs, reiser4,
    and xfs

Well, now that really got me confused, please help me.

thanks,

Wrenchman

8. DragonMaster Jay

It should work for Linux, that's what I'm saying.

Most versions of Linux have the NTFS-3G driver. For those that don't, other premium products, like Paragon NTFS for Linux are available.

So, if you mount Linux on NTFS, it should function just fine!

9. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

Mint will like ext4 format as that is Linux Native. If you add Windows first, LinuxMint will "nudge" Win to the side and you will then have dual boot system. I still have Mint on my laptop.

Add HPLIP to the system for some HP tools like ink level and print config from the notification area (next to the clock at the top)

sudo apt-get add hplip-gui

10. Wrenchman

Here's what happened:

I installed a new HDD 500GB

Used Partedmagic to partition the drive, 50GB to Linux and the rest to Win 7, just for a start.

Now the HDD was new and completely empty, so making 2 partitions wasn't any problem,
    I then installed Win 7, using the HP recovery DVD, only to discover that, it would wipe
    ALL the HDD, and leave it with 4 partitions, System, Local, Recovery, HP Tools.

Which mean, I've now learned the hard way, that there is no space for Linux, since 4
    partitions is max for a notebook.

Oh BTW, after installing win 7, I went back to partedmagic, and by a
    mistake/inexperience wiped the win 7, it only took a split sec.

So I installed win7 again, since BOOMM suggested it, went back to Partedmagic, it was
    actually at this time that I discovered that I couldn't make another partition because all four was occupied,
    did a search and found that the best solution would be to delete Recovery and/or HP Tools, which was what I ended up doing.

So far so good, I was now ready to install the long awaiting Linux, plugged in the Linux live dvd, and started the installation process.

Now another problem came up, something about a ROOT being missing and that Linux couldn't proceed until the problem was fixed.

Please, if anyone knows about how to go about this problem, well I'm sure y'all do.

And I'm not too worried about the Dual-Boot thing, I'm imagining that if I manage to install Linux alongside with win7, that it will automatically ask me
    which to boot, would that be a correct presumption?

Thanks,

Wrenchman

11. BoredOutOfMyMind

Root was missing on the live CD or the install at reboot?

Did you create media before wiping recovery, as you will lose install media?

(been there regretted that)

;)

Is the install being attempted on external drive only?

12. Wrenchman

Drive: Only internal.

Recovery: Yes, I have a 1in3 HP recovery DVD.

Root: None of the above I think, it was in the beginning of installation when trying to install Linux(using a live DVD).

But I have been studying, and discovered that "root" is a forward slash "/"
    I've also found that I need to create other logical partitions, they are as follows:

/(root)(primary)
    Swap
    /usr
    /var
    /home
    /tmp

So I played around with that and came pass the root issue, BTW I like this live
    DVD because it warns me about the size of each partition, for example when I
    created the /(root),I made it 500mb, but after clicking continue it warned me that /(root) should be at least 3.5 GB

Unfortunately, I didn't finish, because my wife needed to use the CPU, so I had
    to quit, then when my wife turned on the computer, it wouldn't boot, I had somehow formatted the hard drive,
    but I hadn't been messing with the C:/partition

Thanks,

Wrenchman

13. BoredOutOfMyMind

I let the DVD make the partitions for me. I had 8.9 GB on my 12 GB test drive (hot swappable in my desktop) and with multi-connector, ran that as test in laptop before installing both LM and #! on a 20 GB drive.

The desktop has 320 GB and had at one time 240 GB filled with LinuxMintDebian. (now has Win 7 on it). My HP G60 has dual boot LMDE and Win 7 on 500 GB.

After partition and install, you should have GRUB or GRUB2 to allow dual boot. You may have to hold shift to enable the GRUB menu at boot.

http://bit.ly/NhZ5pf

14. Wrenchman

15. BoredOutOfMyMind

16. Wrenchman

Thanks BOOMM I found it!

I'll let you know how it goes.

BTW, I downloaded this iso:
    archlinux-2011.08.19-netinstall-dual.iso

I thought it was something to help me dual boot, turns out to be just another linux + some other stuff, of which I have no clue.

Thanks,

Wrenchman

17. BoredOutOfMyMind

Your OP said LinuxMint. Mint is vastly different from Arch Linux.

KDE is also different than Gnome. I left KDE as many Gnome-native apps installed all sort of dependancies that frustrated me (such as early Firefox). OTOH, there are many very happy with KDE.

;)

18. Wrenchman

Yeah I know, I didn't know exactly what it was(BTW I still don't), and about the KDE it just happened to
    be in my pathway so I DL it and it seems to be working, you see I'm trying to achieve some experience,
    I'm in a learning process, so all help is much appreciated.

It's a lot of hard work, but it's fun and exciting!

I'll be opening a new thread in Software(or maybe in 7) since my 2 hard disks have gone nuts.

Stay tuned.

Thanks,

Wrenchman

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds