How to delete a really old post/thread?

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by tyler1077, Feb 2, 2012.

1. tyler1077

tyler1077 Private E-2

Hey all, I have a thread from 2008 that has my full name in it. Now, every time my name is "googled" this thread pops up. I did not think about it at the time but now after a few years, I would like it to be deleted. I was wondering if a mod could delete the entire thread? Thanks in advance!

2. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Hi...yes, I've deleted your thread.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

I found another one with your full name in it and have deleted it now, have looked over others and they seem ok.

Although this info is spidered on various search and social sites already and those are harder to have/get it removed.

*general comment and not specific to anyone but for all*

This is one of the reasons we have always stated do not post personal information or post inline any logs such as Hijackthis, System info logs opposed to putting them in a text file, removing any personal info (like names and product codes etc) and attaching as its not easy for the search spiders to open and retrieve text from an attached file.

4. tyler1077

tyler1077 Private E-2

Thank you both very much!!

Very helpful information, David.

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

You are very welcome and my only advise is to if you or anyone else reading this are posting any information on a website be it a forum or social media (Facebook, Twitter etc) is to stop and review it before posting it just so it doesnt give any personal info away.

Sadly these days and their are a few social groupings that do this in the main, are well I was going to say nieve but novice is likely more politically correct is that they will post anything, be it they are on holiday or going out somewhere (this is toxic as likely in other posts or their About Me page is to have address or basic location or even pics of where they live) all this can aid a criminal easily.

Social media is good but also very bad in some respects as some use it as an extention of talking to someone or a group face to face live, and this can be dangerous.

Tyler I'm glad you posted this thread as it gives us a chance to just highlight the dangers of data and information in this era.

6. Brokenbones

Brokenbones Private E-2

Re: How to delete a really old post/thread? But actually new

Hi I just posted a thread couple days ago with serious malware,trojan problems. I 'm not getting any responses whether it's from how I worded my post or who knows. But I've been trying to find a way to edit/delete my thread but I can't find it in how to section what so ever. Also since my last post everything has gotten way worse on my CPU and wasn't sure if should I sure post new logs etc. Also sorry for posting on this thread it was the only thing I could find on deleting threads. Thx

7. LauraR

Re: How to delete a really old post/thread? But actually new

Hi...it looks like TimW has responded to your thread. You can respond to him if you have any questions. :)

Just for future reference...we only have a few malware experts and they are the only ones authorized to respond to those threads so they are taken in order...oldest first.

8. nanccinut

nanccinut Private E-2

Sorry for being in the wrong section but trying to post and can't see any heading like make new post.Can someone help this fool to a easy step by step. I lost my audio by deleting it totally out of all programms and recycle bin and trying to get the Realtek audio files/drivers etc back. please tell me what section to post. All these so called fix programs want money to fix.I want something free that works if it's out there please ?- nanccinut

9. LauraR

Hi and welcome to Major Geeks.:)

If you click on any of the forums (this post is in the Welcome Forum) you will see a 'New Thread' button above all the threads that are already posted. That is the one you want to use to start a new thread for your issue.

You will want to go to the Drivers forum and post a new thread in there. Be as specific as you can about your issue, including the make and model of your computer as well as the operating system.

If you have any other problems starting a thread, just post back here.:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds