Greetings to Major-Geeks!

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by Dreaminglexicon, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Dreaminglexicon

Dreaminglexicon Private E-2

Good morning all.

My names Mik, I'm 23 and from the UK.

I'm not totally used to posting on forums (especially technical ones!) so I thought I'd take the opportunity to introduce myself here to begin with. I'm currently a new PC owner and have a great interest in expanding my knowledge. My experience in computers to date is very meager though. So I doubt I will be making many posts, mostly absorbing the information and stalking threads in the background. My main reason for becoming a PC owner is my love for gaming (especially online). I have only ever really been able to experience World of Warcraft on my old hamster powered Dell Laptop and have had pined over playing Diablo III, Skyrim and Guild Wars 2. So I suppose from that I'll be looking at ways to maintain system performance to begin with.

I did have a slight query however and I hope it's ok to ask that here; after setting up the computer I have noticed that my internet connection is pretty slow. My current internet package is the BT Home Hub, and have not had any issues with connectivity in the past. I am sat in the room opposite the router and it shows as "1 bar of signal strength". Whereas with my old laptop is would show as "full". My current system specifications are;

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K Quad Core 3.40 GHz 6MB Cache LGA1155 + HD Graphics
    MEMORY: 8GB (2x4GB) PC12800 DDR3/1600mhz Dual Channel Memory (Kingston HyperX Blu w/Heat Spreader)
    MOTHERBOARD: Asus P8H61-MX Intel H61 chipset, Micro ATX Mainboard w/ 2 RAM slots, 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, SATA-II, 1xGen2 PCIe, 1xPCIe , 1 x PCI (B3 Stepping)
    NETWORK: ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
    VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 2GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card
    WNC: PCI-E Wireless 802.11n 300Mbps Network Interface Card

I'm not entirely sure which pieces of information are useful, but I was wondering if anyone knew of any solutions. I thought that maybe I need to get into the HUB settings and "allow" or add my new computer to its list of authorized consoles? Or I could just be talking nonsense.

In any case, it's good to meet you all.

Best wishes. :)

2. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Hello and welcome to Major Geeks. :)

You have come to the right place if you want to learn. We have a lot of knowledgeable people in all areas.

For your internet connection question, you should start a new thread in the Networking forum. You can copy and paste some of what you've written here. Make a descriptive title for your thread and also let anyone reading it know that you are somewhat new to computers and let them know your level of knowledge.:)

3. Dreaminglexicon

Dreaminglexicon Private E-2

Thank you for the welcome Laura. :)

Turns out the solution was quite simple, I dare not say what it was to save myself the embarrassment. ;)

4. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

That's great that you figured it out! :)

I would gaurantee that there are many on here who have spent an enormous amount of time looking for the most complicated answers to their computer issues only to finally realize it was the simple thing they didn't try...like me. Now that is embarrassing. LOL

5. Spock96

Spock96 Major Geek 'Spocky'

Hello and welcome. :wave
    That literally just happened to me five minutes ago with a chunk of PHP code that I sat and had two other people besides myself troubleshoot for the past week or so, only to realize I had been missing an ending tag.:p:-o

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds